Join for free
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 09:26 PM

Re: One In Four Remainers Now Back BrExit

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I do not believe that would happen. I am also aware that Europe has had over seventy years without a war, which has never happened in history before.

I believe that the way to change the EU, and changes are necessary, is to do it within, rather than without. We are cutting our noses to spite our faces.
That's what people thought in the 1930s.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Hopefully not in my lifetime, but almost certainly within the next generation or two.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 10:25 PM

we may not have had a major war as such, but there have been plenty of conflicts since 1945 in European countries.

To name a few

Greek Civil war, Hungarian revolution, invasion of Czechoslovakia, Turkish invasion of Cyprus, Romanian resistance ,Croatian war, Bosnian war, Albanian war, plus numerous other serious uprisings etc.

I believe that unrest will rise again from the ashes ,just as the Phoenix , but the shadow of the wings will spread further next time.

For what purpose do we need a combined European army if all is expected to be milk and honey in the future ? Who would we be likely to fight ?

I spoke to a friend three days ago, she and her husband who initially voted 'remain' say they would now vote 'brexit'.

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
I do not believe that would happen. I am also aware that Europe has had over seventy years without a war, which has never happened in history before.

I believe that the way to change the EU, and changes are necessary, is to do it within, rather than without. We are cutting our noses to spite our faces.
Exactly CeeCee.

This survey is not carried out by any official organisation. Just a "think tank" with only 147 people liking it on facebook. What they really want is devolution for the North East. So there you go. Anyone can form a group with clipboards to do surveys. I had to do this sort of thing for Uni assignments. The data isn't even available online.

I'm just relieved that the two sides are finally starting to talk to each other in a more sensible way. This "no deal" nonsense is totally idiotic. Only the economically ignorant would support it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
we may not have had a major war as such, but there have been plenty of conflicts since 1945 in European countries.

To name a few

Greek Civil war, Hungarian revolution, invasion of Czechoslovakia, Turkish invasion of Cyprus, Romanian resistance ,Croatian war, Bosnian war, Albanian war, plus numerous other serious uprisings etc.

I believe that unrest will rise again from the ashes ,just as the Phoenix , but the shadow of the wings will spread further next time.

For what purpose do we need a combined European army if all is expected to be milk and honey in the future ? Who would we be likely to fight ?

I spoke to a friend three days ago, she and her husband who initially voted 'remain' say they would now vote 'brexit'.

PD the point was that countries that are members of the community do not go to war on each other. All the stuff you mention is before those countries were in the EU.

The combined army is no doubt to counterbalance the US and a move away from NATO (which nobody questions).
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-10-2017, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That's what people thought in the 1930s.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Hopefully not in my lifetime, but almost certainly within the next generation or two.
No, it's not because we didn't have European unity in the 1930s. We had the sort of fascist fragmentation some here espouse.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
"A NEW survey has revealed that one in four Remain voters have changed their mind and now back Brexit."
Erm .. this one who sort of favoured Brexit ( but who abstained from voting) would vote to remain now if there was another referendum.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2017, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
No, it's not because we didn't have European unity in the 1930s. We had the sort of fascist fragmentation some here espouse.
You miss my point. We certainly did have 'European unity' in the '30s and '40s.

It was called The Third Reich.

In case you're still wondering, I'm referring to the German expansion in order to control most of Europe.

Exactly what is happening with the EU right now. The only difference is that this time it is not a series of battles, but an economic conquest.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-10-2017, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Erm .. this one who sort of favoured Brexit ( but who abstained from voting) would vote to remain now if there was another referendum.
But you're in a minority, Morty!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 12:08 AM

Story of my life JBR
I look at it now as in the lap of the gods .. because it certainly isn't in the safe hands of our government. They couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag never mind disentangle themselves from the extortionists called the EU.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You miss my point. We certainly did have 'European unity' in the '30s and '40s.

It was called The Third Reich.

In case you're still wondering, I'm referring to the German expansion in order to control most of Europe.

Exactly what is happening with the EU right now. The only difference is that this time it is not a series of battles, but an economic conquest.
Still talking out of your arse.

Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top