Join for free
Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 12:56 AM

Re: Brexit, The Lies.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
JB I guess with regard to leaving the EU Swim is referring to things like banking and insurance but I am sure we can come to some mutual agreement , if not we will survive . I don't go with all this pessimism ...
Oh, I realise what things are meant by services. What I meant was that if, for example, Germany might refuse to use our banking or insurance services, we could refuse to allow the importing of their cars.

Not a very good example, of course, as I'm sure it wouldn't come to that, but you get my meaning.

I, too, am sure we shall survive and, in fact, that we shall flourish once we are our own masters again.

We have been constantly bombarded with threats and warnings, yet we have yet to see any of these actually happening.

Hopefully, after we have actually left the Dictatorship these prophets of doom might shut up.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Oh, I realise what things are meant by services. What I meant was that if, for example, Germany might refuse to use our banking or insurance services, we could refuse to allow the importing of their cars.

Not a very good example, of course, as I'm sure it wouldn't come to that, but you get my meaning.

I, too, am sure we shall survive and, in fact, that we shall flourish once we are our own masters again.

We have been constantly bombarded with threats and warnings, yet we have yet to see any of these actually happening.

Hopefully, after we have actually left the Dictatorship these prophets of doom might shut up.
Hi

Actually we could not ban their cars in retaliation, only their services.

WTO Rules are solely manufactured goods and agricultural products.

One of the basic rules is most favoured nation status, what you do for one you do for all, you cannot for example have a tariff of 5% on Japanese Cars and 10% on French and German Cars.

There are things you can do to protect your own industry, using quotas, but that is different.

I think people are missing the point I am trying to make.

This not an argument against leaving, this is about the incompetence of the Government.

One of the key benefits of leaving is being able to strike our own trade deals with the rest of the world.

Not to have the trade negotiators to do this is just stupid.

Liam Fox has turned out to be a liability, his decision to just cut and paste the existing trade deals we share as part of the EU with other Countries has backfired big time.

He did not ask the Countries concerned and now complaints have been lodged at the WTO.

We need those trade negotiators now to sort out this mess, never mind strike new deals,

These deals affect 12% of our Exports, to mess them up at a stroke is an act of self harm and was totally avoidable.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 08:56 AM

Question ..

I heard on radio couple of days ago it's possible not to even use wto rules and we can in effect go it alone. Set our own rules and rates.

I'm not sure how true that is but it sounded better than wto and a very positive way forward.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:08 AM

why bother with arguing about trade agreements? lets get out now . You will be amazed how quickly issues will be resolved if every country starts loosing their exports.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:17 AM

I'd vote for that, my husbands job is becoming more difficult just because no one knows what's going to happen, if we just had a plan it would help many companies.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 09:23 AM

A lot of nonsense coming out of the Bank of England this morning about jobs lost if there is no trade agreement .
Out of a million banking jobs we could well do to lose a few of them, it might free up a bit of housing.
Not that there will be any genuine big rush for the banks to flee en masse to Europe which has mere 'banking centers' when London is a global center.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

31-10-2017, 09:26 AM

It's people who were remainers still trying to persuade us we've voted wrongly, that MP that basically called his constituents uneducated idiots obviously doesn't want to be reelected anytime soon.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

The last thing we need is our loony government micro-managing trade. Free trade doesn't work like that and big business doesn't want to bother with such an environment. Don't forget how many people are employed in car dealerships here selling German cars.

It was heartening to hear that one of the big banks doesn't expect that they will shed as many jobs to Europe as initially envisaged. I am sure everyone will come to a sensible compromise. The Government may be in another universe but the people who manage all these organisations are a bit more pragmatic. It will just take time.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
A lot of nonsense coming out of the Bank of England this morning about jobs lost if there is no trade agreement .
Out of a million banking jobs we could well do to lose a few of them, it might free up a bit of housing.
Not that there will be any genuine big rush for the banks to flee en masse to Europe which has mere 'banking centers' when London is a global center.
No Trade agreement is a never event. We have to have a trade agreement not this nonsense of just cutting things off. I don't think it will ever come to that.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2017, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
why bother with arguing about trade agreements? lets get out now . You will be amazed how quickly issues will be resolved if every country starts loosing their exports.
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'd vote for that, my husbands job is becoming more difficult just because no one knows what's going to happen, if we just had a plan it would help many companies.
I agree. Rules and treaties aside, people buy what they want. Personally, for example, I never buy anything French. I need not say why.

Yes, we should walk away now and then everyone knows where we stand. There is no point in prolonging things because we all know what is going to happen: the EU negotiators are not going to budge and will continue to demand ridiculous figures pulled out of the air; hopefully, our glorious leaders are not going to give it to them.

It was in the news yesterday that three of our fifth-columnist politicians have gone to Brussels to 'discuss' matters with the EU dictators, although I don't know what they're hoping to achieve.

Actually, it is possible that the three stooges have done us all a favour. In doing what they are doing, they are more than likely to send the message to Brussels that we British are all in disagreement and are pulling against each other (which we probably are!). This will encourage Brussels to keep pushing in the hope that we will roll over and pay their demands. In fact, they may feel free to increase their 'leaving fee'.

This could, despite the three turncoats' intentions, be to our ultimate advantage. I'm hoping that it will only serve to make our negotiators refuse their generous offers and walk away!

Page 3 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top