Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 02:29 PM

Knee Relacement

My wife is having her knee replaced on Monday, have to be there on Sunday as its 2 hours to the hospital. Anyone had this done, recovery time, i e walking then full recovery. They will give her an extra week there for intensive physio, dont know if that ever happens on NHS.
I think I have enough meals in the freezer to last 6 months
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Re: Knee Relacement

My husband has, he was on his feet following day and out of hospital walking up stairs by day three, but and its a big but he was in agony real agony, I don't know how he did it.

The physio never materialised it was promised but they basically forgot about him, but we googled physio exercise for knees and he did the routine himself.

Insist on pain killers strongest they can give, it's most painful thing trying to get moving and learning to walk on it. But once you do it's opened the world for him again he's back rambling for hours at a time. Working 13 hour days and enjoying life.

Only thing he can no longer do is kneel down he says its like kneeling on a metal spike !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
My wife is having her knee replaced on Monday, have to be there on Sunday as its 2 hours to the hospital. Anyone had this done, recovery time, i e walking then full recovery. They will give her an extra week there for intensive physio, dont know if that ever happens on NHS.
I think I have enough meals in the freezer to last 6 months

Yes matey - been there, done that (twice) and bought the 'T' shirt.

Firstly, at home do you have a high seat chair??? Sitting in a chair or settee that is too low is difficult to get down to and almost impossible to get out of again.

After the operation (is your wife having full anaesthetic or epidural???) she'll need a lot of physio-therapy - insist she has some both at the hospital and when she arrives home. The knee will be exceedingly painful for quite a while. At night place a couple of pillows mid-way down the bed so she can place her knee on them (like an inverted 'v' shape) - she will find this the most comfortable position for a while.

I echo Julie's comment - DO NOT ever try to kneel - this is excruciatingly painful!!!

There is an organisation (the helping hand.co.uk) who can supply disabled aids to help ,make things easier - f'r instance I have a helping hand - a gripper to pick up things off the floor. I also have a 'soxon' - this helps with getting dressed by helping me put my socks on (as the name implies) - go check out the web site and you'll see what I mean.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 03:10 PM

Just remembered something my husband liked most was a raised loo seat, he couldn't get up from our loo without it.
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 04:57 PM

thank you all for your input, im not sure yet whether its anethetisc or epi-dural.

U J she is being given a weeks physio at the hospital after the op. plus then 2 days a week physio locally for as long as she needs it, even if it is 6 months
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
thank you all for your input, im not sure yet whether its anethetisc or epi-dural.

U J she is being given a weeks physio at the hospital after the op. plus then 2 days a week physio locally for as long as she needs it, even if it is 6 months
Yes but make sure they stick to that promise!!!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

10-11-2017, 05:20 PM

Norway matey - this is what I meant by a Soxon - they also make one which helps women with their tights too.

http://www.helpinghand.co.uk/catalog...bnZsMDFw%3d%3d
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 06:11 PM

Mr Clumsy had a full knee replacement earlier this year. He was home on day 3, walked up the 20 steps to our house, quite well. He then had physiotherapy 3 times a week for almost 3 months. He still has pain and sometimes uses a stick. In the very early days we got a zimmer frame which had wheels and a seat, that was very useful. We also fitted a grab handle at the side of the toilet in his bathroom, that made things much easier for him.

Trouble is heīs now taller on one side, but he is supposed to be having the other knee done too. He hasnīt yet made up his mind whether too or not.

Edited to add: The surgeon said on no account was he to rest his leg on a pillow, I canīt remember why but he definitely said that. He was also advised to get a piece of smooth board when lying down and to stretch and bend his leg up and down the board. Mr Clumsy did so, still does now and then, he says itīs hard but it does help.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 06:37 PM

Mr Mags had a total knee replacement in July this year after years of pain. He had to stop his anticoagulant medication and blood pressure tablets two days prior to his epidural op. The op itself went well and he was supposed to start his physio on the first day after but unfortunately the wound was still seeping so it had to be cancelled. He had a problematic knee to start with due to having TB in the knee man years ago, had had previous ops on the knee which made the op more difficult.

However 4 months later, he is almost an inch taller, still having physio and walking without a limp . He says it was well worth all the pain he went through and it has given him a new life.

Just to add, he was told by his surgeons on no account was he to use pillows or any other support on operated knee.

Wishing your wife all the best with her op, Norway .... any pain is well worth bearing for the end result.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2017, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Just remembered something my husband liked most was a raised loo seat, he couldn't get up from our loo without it.
And/or the device you can place around the toilet to grab onto to pull yourself up. I found it invaluable in hospital when having that painful surgery in 2014. (I either had it in hospital or in the convalescent home, not sure.)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top