Join for free
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Re: Rat in the garden

yep,thats a rat
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 07:29 PM

They can breed all year round, so that is one reason why they can multiply so quickly, and the gestation period is only 3 weeks!
They will just have litter after litter if you don't get rid of them.
Good luck with the traps Muddy.

Just a thought, what will you do with the live ones you catch?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 07:55 PM

I met a chap with a Jack Russell today who says he knows loads of farmer types who love to set their dogs on rats AFTER they have been caught in the traps . This was not my idea at all !if dogs are involved they have to catch them too .
Actually I just planned to take them further out in the country and release them .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I met a chap with a Jack Russell today who says he knows loads of farmer types who love to set their dogs on rats AFTER they have been caught in the traps . This was not my idea at all !if dogs are involved they have to catch them too .
Actually I just planned to take them further out in the country and release them .

Confiscate their compasses first.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 12:17 AM

Hopefully they are not homing rats
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 11:20 AM

I think I have told this story before but in my last house my neighbour caught over 90 squirrels in humane traps because she thought they were damaging her garden. She set them free in the woods nearby, we used to laugh that they made it home before she did.

I think she may have caught the same little squirrel 90 times
doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Hopefully they are not homing rats
they will find the next home where you dump them,,the folks there will catch them,and they could be dump near your gaff againmuch easier to kill them,and not spread there familys all over the countryside.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

27-11-2017, 11:38 AM

Just got the traps now have to put them together!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

27-11-2017, 07:35 PM

Day one with traps .
Yesterday Ratus was up and down the garden like he owned the place today there is not hide nor hair of him.
He must have ESP
Nevertheless have baited the traps and put them out one was sprung with bait nibbled but no rat
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 07:49 PM

Rats are clever, it's probably seen them before. Poison is best, if not nice, but really the only way to deal with many, they go away then, ours did, haven't seen one since. Of course we could still have them but they are keeping low profiles. If they stick to the bottom of the garden they can stay there, we have a long garden.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top