Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 03:22 PM

Re: Rat in the garden

Originally Posted by Mups ->
A young lad with learning disabilities who helped out at the local animal rescue here, died earlier this year with Lepto.
The place was alive with rats when I visited.

My old boss's dog also died with Lepto on their farm, so I am very aware of it, just didn't know the position with pet rats.
That is very sad about the lad & the farm dog, Mups.
The rats in that rescue centre, were they wild or pets? Wild do carry it & if tame get where wild have been they can pick it up. Farm rats do seem to have it from the link. I wonder if there's a test for the tame ones, it's a good idea to test them if so.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 05:21 PM

The thing is always to wash you hands when you have been in any are where mice and rats can go this is practically anywhere But especially places like warehouses where things like bottled or canned beer may be stored ( always wipe the can or bottle first if you like to drink from them)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 12:43 AM

Yes, good point Muddy. The number of young people you see swigging straight out of bottles must be mad.

A girl I used to be friendly with years ago had pet rats. She loved them, but what always worried me was the way she used to let them run over her kitchen work tops!!
I could never accept a sandwich there.
Even if they didn't carry Lepto, they still poo and gnaw!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 04:22 PM

Hi Muddy, Please can you tell me where you are transporting the rats to? I think it’s in my area, as l’ve got them now!

Each day, last week l found holes in and around my hen coops and run. I have filled the holes in and used bricks and slabs to try and make it more difficult for them to burrow but they find somewhere else!

Yesterday, l rang my local council but l will have to wait until after Christmas as one of their pest control operators is off ill and there’s a long waiting list!

I had moles under the run this year, so l suppose the rats are using their run. I have to say, the soil near the holes is very fine and lots of it! It makes me wonder if it’s a big rat?!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 05:39 PM

Haven't seen hide nor hair of a rat for days -thank goodness -now I keep catching birds in the traps so maybe the rats have decamped !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2017, 02:57 PM

Sounds like you've got a reprieve Muddy.
Hope it lasts, but at least you've got the traps now if more start visiting.

I must send for mine, I still haven't done it.
(Note to self).

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top