Join for free
Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 03:02 PM

Re: Turned 50 and started falling apart!😨

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
That would be me, and no I don't have my own pool I use the local one..
In that case I take my hat off to you!
If I wore one, that is!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Parking can be a pain as you said . People were dumping their cars in the Pool Carpark and going off to work. It didn't really affect me as I am in the pool for 7.15am and have no trouble. But later pool users were having a lot of hassle, so much so the pool was losing business. Now parking is no longer free, and the freeloaders had to find elsewhere to park.. Result, the pool and it's customers are happy again..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Floydy, you are active, fit, and in your early fifties, and you should be frustrated that you are not feeling better. You should be healthy and able to do most of the things you enjoy - just not quite to the levels of your twenty-year-old self. When I was your age (three years ago), aside from having lower running speeds and occasional stiffness, I felt great. You are too young to be "falling apart" as you describe. I hope this doesn't sound bossy, but I am going to lay it out there for you because I care about how you are doing out there:

I suspect you have a few things triggering your reduced health and vigor, some of which you can control, and others you can mitigate. The first two things to consider are the long term stress caused by your wife's illness and your sleeping patterns. I am not talking about the kind of stress you feel, but accumulation of physical and neurological stress that comes from the extra responsibilities and concerns that come with being a caretaker. This kind of stress in the long run can affect your immune system and trigger inflammation and muscle pain, and cause other problems too. As someone who has been in your shoes, you sound classic. Read up on this. You need some dedicated time every day to offset some of the pressure - and not feel guilty about it. A major part of being a good husband, father, and grandfather is taking care of yourself. Are you eating as well? How is your nutrition right now? As your wife gets better, I suspect you will begin to feel better. Taking care of someone is hard work and can take a toll.

Another factor to consider is your sleep. You have a career as a night worker, that can definitely be a culprit in affecting your health. I know there is nothing you can probably do about the time of day in which you work, but you can probably improve your "sleep hygiene". You wouldn't say, you were going to skip drinking water because you have extra responsilities. You can't do that with sleep either . Sleep is not to be messed with, Floydy. Get what you need and get quality sleep. Period.

The next is your cough. This is not normal and it's affecting your quality of life. Like the very bad movie goes, "See a doctor and get rid of it"..

After that is your back. If your knees are arthritic, you are bending them slightly more than normal when you stand and walk which will cause you to be a bit sway-backed (bottom higher, lower back more arched) which will trigger back pain. Even a little change in your posture can wreak havoc with your back muscles. Then seriously take a beat and really consider each of these: exercise (possibly too much heavy weight?), exercise form, abdominals (I doubt this is your problem), stretching, flexibility, shoes (work and exercise), and even mattress. Are you really stretching before and after exercise? Are you doing flexibility training at least three times per week? Both fall into my "Major Sins in Fitness" category and I am paying for it . Anyway, I digressed. Be sure to be diagnosed on whether this is muscle or nerve related issue.

The next thing to consider are triggers that could be exacerbating the arthritis. OGF is right that this is an inflammatory process that, even if is is genetic, it can be mitigated. Do you have flexibility and stretching - a lot of it - built into your regimen? The research is hit and miss about what works for different individuals but the moderate diet OGF suggests is a good one. You might research inflammation diets and try to reduce a few of the things on the list. I am not suggesting a vegetarian diet (OGF would have a cow if I did - good pun there ) but, for the sake of comparison, I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years and have no arthritis outside of some rare stiffness.

Write all your complaints, even the small ones, for a doctor and don't let him/her dismiss you as these as being age or wear related. For as healthy of a lifestyle as you are living, you should be....healthy!

All good things to you!
Surfermom, what a fantastic post!
But it’s more than just a post, it’s an extremely well thought-out analysis. I think you know me better than I know myself – or my health issues at least. It takes a wise person to be able to read people and their personal setbacks in such a way that the person concerned cannot readily see. Your post has certainly given me lots to think about and furthermore, many pointers to the way forward with my current fitness levels and where to go from here. And you’re definitely not bossy at all, I need that kick up the butt to get me into gear.

True, I’ve been under some stress lately; my wife’s illness, my mum passing away this year plus the sorting out her house and savings, work pressures, night working itself and the sheer lack of time I have for anything. I do keep weekends free though as that is ultimately very important. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy – and I wouldn’t want to morph into Jack Torrance character from ‘The Shining’ would I?!

I do sleep pretty well as a norm. 5-6 hours in the mornings and a further couple before I go into work, so I’m pretty well refreshed. And having changed my diet recently, I’m keeping the weight down. The scant gym training I’m doing has had to take a back seat, but my food intake is much healthier so the belly is holding steady and despite the couple of niggles with my knees and back, I’m on my feet all night and considerably more active than most of my colleagues, even the younger ones.

My cough is almost certainly because of the horrid dusty conditions at work. I work in a very large warehouse as a stock controller and a lot of my job consists of moving around old stock to make room for new lines. It can be very grubby in that racking and to wear a face mask isn’t practical. But I do take a break by doing other work (computer stuff, forklift driving), so it’s not all digging amongst the filth. I know it’s not a permanent cough, as I become free of it after a weekend so hopefully it’s not going to rear its ugly head in the long term.

Your thesis on why I am getting a recurring bad back is something I hadn’t thought of. Because my knees and probably affecting my leg muscles, my weight is uneven (as Old Grey Fox mentioned too), and that may well be putting extra strain on my lower back. I do need to do more stretches and I’ve been working out a little programme that I can take to work to perform bits of during my shift. Every few minutes I’ll do some squatting motions or stand facing the wall and reach high up with my fingertips. These have worked in the past, so it should keep me supple. I’ll also be working on keeping my posture more erect too, as I do tend to slump sometimes. Thanks for the ri-jigue there!

Anyway, I’ve booked myself in for a doctor’s appointment (though the earliest I can get is 16th December), and in the new year I think I’ll get a massage organised too for my back. I’ll speak to the doc about a possible operation for my knees, as long as it will ‘cure’ the problem rather than make it worse. I’ve heard they can work wonders nowadays in minutes with today’s technological advances. So that’s something to look forward too.

Again, Surfermom. Many thanks for this post. You’ve certainly given me much to think about.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2017, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Damian ->
Hi,
Try a good chiropractic for your back (most will give a free scan/assessment). It may be that your back needs to be realigned (messages to all organs of the body flow from your brain via the spine and if these nerves are nipped/constrained the organs don't function as they should). All my family, incl kids from 2mths old have benefitted from this.
Get the cough checked by the doctor and don't be fobbed off.
The modern diet (sugars, preservatives, etc) can create alot of inflammation in your body. Google this subject and look at what you should reduce which cause acid/inflammation and what are good alkaline foods.
Don't give up the exercise, incl resistance training, this is known to improve bone density and your muscles support the joints (after my knee op the big emphasis was on building the support muscles to take pressure off the joints. Just don't overload, go for tone and not just (think of body weight exercises that are more natural for your body shape/size).
Hope this helps, & good luck
The chiropractor is an option, as is an osteopath, but I'm hoping first that it's merely some muscle stress and I'm inquire with the doctor to see what he advises to begin with. But, yes, I hope it's nothing more severe.

The trouble with me is that I've been training heavily for 30+ years, bodybuilding, stronglifting as it's so difficult to have to slow down with it. But I am learning my lesson through complaints like this and have devised programmes which focus more on high repetitions and lighter weights. Stamina rather than strength, although I'm still young enough to retain most of my muscle. The bulkiness will go, but that's probably a blessing!
Sound info, Damian, thanks
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

30-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just be careful of your Doctors advice Floydy, they treat everyone the same, he won't appreciate fully that your life has been spent keeping fit, so his advice will always be to slow down and be sensible (from a layman's point of view)... I visited the doctor with an aching back when I was forty years old, he suggested that I didn't run as far or as fast and accept the deterioration that age produces. Since then, I broke all of my personal bests on Marathons and long fell runs, including running 110 miles in two days on the Cleveland Way.

If I'd listened to him I wouldn't be half the runner I turned out to be.....I did find one doctor who himself was a marathon runner and offered me very good advice, so shop around and find a sympathetic doctor Floydy, there are some out there....
Very good advice, Bob, thank you
My GP is an old family doctor we've known for years, but even so although I'll be listening to what he has to say about the knees, anything he mentions regarding fitness levels I'll keep an open mind on. I've been in the exercise game long enough to know what's what and like you say it's just a matter of taking care of yourself as you age, and treating your body with more respect
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Just be careful of your Doctors advice Floydy, they treat everyone the same, he won't appreciate fully that your life has been spent keeping fit, so his advice will always be to slow down and be sensible (from a layman's point of view)... I visited the doctor with an aching back when I was forty years old, he suggested that I didn't run as far or as fast and accept the deterioration that age produces. Since then, I broke all of my personal bests on Marathons and long fell runs, including running 110 miles in two days on the Cleveland Way.

If I'd listened to him I wouldn't be half the runner I turned out to be.....I did find one doctor who himself was a marathon runner and offered me very good advice, so shop around and find a sympathetic doctor Floydy, there are some out there....
This is excellent advice and holds true for any of us who have physicians who tell us that we should just accept the symptoms of aging. My experience after a knee injury was virtually identical to OGF's. I knew my body well enough to know that all I needed was time to heal and I would be back on the road. I finally found a sports physician who told me that if he wasn't doing everything he could to keep me running, then he wasn't doing his job. That was about 10,000 pain-free running miles ago.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 08:18 AM

Glad you're making some progress with recovering and having the knowledge that you can be back to your best again.

With me, apart from the major illnesses I mentioned, it's more a case of a thigh sprain taking ages to heal as well as some more general (but still aggravating) pains in my shoulders and neck and not knowing the cause of them.
Paul1234
New Member!
Merseyside
Paul1234 is male 

07-12-2017, 10:56 PM

I did,nt have a day off work until I was 59. Then in a matter of 6 months I had a clot which had moved close to my brain, several weeks later I had to have a pace maker. A couple of months later I was diagnosed with prostrate cancer. Luckily 6 year on i have recovered, I have never felt as fit. I walk about 15 miles a week and cycle every chance I get. Last year I took to mountain walking which included walking up snowden twice.
I have changed my life style and with a bit of luck I am optimistic I could live another 20 + years. Hopefully have a good quality of life and see my grandchildren grow up
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 05:53 AM

Welcome to the forum, Paul! You have an extraordinary work ethic, and quite a story of recovery and fitness. Good for you!

Page 6 of 6 « First < 4 5 6

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top