Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 12:53 AM

Magnesium

Does anyone take magnesium ?
It's supposed to be good for tiredness and fatigue and also for your bones, gut and the general nervous system .
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 12:57 AM

Re: Magnesium

As a supplement?

No - I eat a lot of foods that contain it - kale, spinach, almonds etc., and use whole wheat flour to make my bread.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 12:58 AM

My S.I.L. used to take that when she was suffering with the menopause, and it seemed to help her a lot at the time.

Might be worth checking this out though, Muddy:-

Swallowing magnesium citrate on an empty stomach can lead to diarrhea and other types of digestive upset, according to MayoClinic.com. Talk to your doctor before you begin taking supplements, and ask what types and doses are best for you.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 01:02 AM

I have bought some but it's magnesium oxide not citrate .
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 01:09 AM

Hi Muddy I take Magnesium Taurate daily with the approval of my Doctor, an adult woman needs a RDA of 320mg .

I am not a fan of supplements but although I eat a magnesium rich diet I can't reach the RDA and a Cardiologists I know suggests MT is beneficial particularly for people with various heart conditions so I top up with a supplement .

I know a lot of people who take this one, too pricey for me ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cardiovascu.../dp/B00AESH6YQ

I take this one..
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Biocare-Mag...43AHWYBRQXWZES
Best to discuss it with a doctor before taking any supplement.
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 01:24 AM

I used to take it to relax and go to sleep
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

02-12-2017, 05:59 AM

Thank everyone
I had no idea there was so many different sorts.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 10:22 AM

i eat spinach every day.

I do not look like Popeye's girl friend'

Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 08:26 PM

I've been taking magnesium since I was 45 when I had my ovaries removed and therefore started the menopause.
Someone recommended to take that as well as zinc.

I've been on it so long I forgotten what it's for TBH. but I think it also help with the absorption of calcium (or something).
Goldcrest
Scotland
Goldcrest is female  Goldcrest has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 01:06 AM

Magnesium Oxide is harsh on the digestive system, and therefore not easily absorbed Muddy. Taking it with food should help though.

Megnesium taurate can be helpful if you have heart problems, but best to discuss with your cardiologist first, as heart conditions differ so much.

I take a little taurine when stressed, and a little magnesium, to aid sleep at these times

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top