Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 05:29 PM

just too much - pleading charities

I have to turn away from the TV when the plees for money come on , you see no matter how much I would give would just never be enough . Today I've seen horrendous filming of starving babies and children , I've seen beautiful elephants maimed and killed , all the time they ask for money . I feel it's so full on in my face and it's depressing . Yet I hear that corruption in these countries is the cause . Also how do we know the money donated goes directly towards helping . I know these terrible things happen yet why is it being shown over and over , it's getting to me lately .
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 06:21 PM

Re: just too much - pleading charities

Yes I agree. All the countless flyers that drop out of papers, or the full page adverts, or the tv ones.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 06:26 PM

I agree too, Susan.
Trouble is, the kind hearted ones who give, are then pestered for ever more to increase their donations. If we just gave anonymously, they couldn't do that.

I also mute all the cancer advertisements too.
I am perfectly well aware of this killer disease, my Mum and 3 friends have died of it, and I don't want constant reminders.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 06:32 PM

I don't like the ads that tell you how much to give. I'd give to the Sally Army but I can't afford £19.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 06:35 PM

We have had 3 or 4 of these charity envelopes come through the letterbox already. A few have raffle tickets to sell and then there are those who enclose a few Christmas cards and stickers as a gift (or bribe). They are the ones which make me feel guilty, I don’t want or like their cards and I would never use them .... I end up putting them in the rubbish box and feeling guilty
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Leia ->
I don't like the ads that tell you how much to give. I'd give to the Sally Army but I can't afford £19.

Same here Leia. I think it's a bloomin' cheek stating how much they want from you.
My old dad always used to say "pennies makes pounds."
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 06:41 PM

Susan you just have to try and ignore them. Many charities have found that expensive ads on TV make people give more but how can we be sure that the money we give will save a child's life or prevent an animal being badly treated? Large charities have employees who are paid good salaries, so I always wonder how much of the money, that is given, is used to pay those salaries.
As much as starving children break my heart, I will never know if the money I give will save a life, so I prefer to give to my local animal charity which is run by volunteers. They now know me quite well so I can even pop in to see how the cats they have are being found good homes , and the sick ones are cared for till a home is found for them.
They even took in a kitten who was pregnant so they could deal with her giving birth, and find homes for her young, when they were weaned, so I agreed to take the mother who is now almost 5 years old.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 06:48 PM

I agree Twink, it's best to donate to local charities.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 06:58 PM

About 2 years ago my wife foolishly donated £20 to IFAW (being an animal lover) and they must have sold our address on to other charities, now we receive about 10 to fifteen letters a week from various charities so now all our cash donations are handed in to the local Animal Shelter
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 07:10 PM

The filming is so in our faces , these poor children and animals , I am walking out of the room when they come on . I do think there is a limit to what they should show it's heartbreaking . I'm taking on board what you've all said though . I'm not bothered about what comes through the door I just bin it unopened .

When you think we live in a world of abundance yet these terrible things are allowed to happen . How many years ago was it when Bob geldof raised from his record feed the world , did we ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top