Join for free
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 01:56 AM

The Blitz

Is anyone watching this series?
I just happened to catch it tonight and it was about the attacks in Hull in 1941.
They were talking mostly about an area which is just across the road from where I live. My wife grew up there and it was so interesting to hear about these people reminisc about these events. Some awful times.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 02:41 AM

Re: The Blitz

Just can't imagine how it was. I was in tears watching that.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 09:11 AM

What channel Floydy I'd like to see if I can find it .

My mum lived in the docks area in East end of London she talked of those times , I can't Immagine how dreadful it was .
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 11:01 AM

No I haven't seen the programme Floydy.

While this was happening many Hull residents were evacuated to be away from the bombing. Some came to to Derbyshire.

One of them met my mums brother & they fell in love & got married.
For a few years they lived in Derbyshire but after the war they relocated back to Hull.

I spent half of my childhood going with my family to visit them twice a year and twice a year they would come to Derbyshire.

They lived in a prefab in the Bilton Grange area of Hull and were very happy there.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 11:17 AM

Yes I am watching this series, I find anything like this fascinating, it follows the aftermath of one bomb dropping in a particular area, and the destruction and devastation it caused, both in property and lives lost, apparently, every bomb dropped was recorded and mapped, something I didn't know.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 11:30 AM

My parents lived right beside the East London docks in WW2 and endured night after night of continuous bombing by the Luftwaffe, some of the stories she told me over the years were horrendous what some people went through at the time, my Mother was so glad to leave London and move to SW England away from it all.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

03-12-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
What channel Floydy I'd like to see if I can find it .

My mum lived in the docks area in East end of London she talked of those times , I can't Immagine how dreadful it was .
Hi Susan.
I've looked on the BBCTV episode guide and it doesn't ring true somehow.
Whilst there is a list of episodes - London, Edinburgh, Nottingham and Liverpool, somehow Hull isn't on the list - and that episode was the one I saw last week.
I do know that the series is on BBC2 on Wednesdays, so it may be best to check each week's TV guide
Originally Posted by carol ->
No I haven't seen the programme Floydy.

While this was happening many Hull residents were evacuated to be away from the bombing. Some came to to Derbyshire.

One of them met my mums brother & they fell in love & got married.
For a few years they lived in Derbyshire but after the war they relocated back to Hull.

I spent half of my childhood going with my family to visit them twice a year and twice a year they would come to Derbyshire.

They lived in a prefab in the Bilton Grange area of Hull and were very happy there.
That's a really nice story, Carol, despite the circumstances that formed it. Bilton Grange is a nice area to live, on the way to Withernsea
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2017, 07:16 PM

Thanks Floydy , searched and found it , I'll watch later . Brave people all of them

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top