Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 11:36 AM

Re: Carpet cleaner.

Originally Posted by carol ->
Thanks everybody.

I don't want to buy a really expensive one ... I'm thinking it might pay me to hire one for the day.
That's a good idea carol, we only bought one after we'd hired the local rug doctor four times and decided one of our own would be cost efficient for us, mid elderly dog being incontinent and puppy learning where to pee we were proved right
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 05:31 PM

Last year I did have a company come in to clean my light cream stair and landing carpet. Worked out that for little more than they charged me, i could have purchased a carpet cleaner and kept it for myself to use whenever and wherever I wanted. I reaearched these with care - I only have carpets on the stairs and in the bedrooms, although also a rug on the wooden floor in my sitting room.
Took me some time before I decided to take the plunge then had to find out the cheapest way of obtaining my smaller, lighter Vax DualPower machine . Found it I purchased direct from Vax(on line) it was much cheaper (then) than any of the other suppliers. I did need one that had a attachment for cleaning those stairs - and have been very pleased with this machine. And I can loan it to my daughter who lives nearby for her to use if she requires it..
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 11:08 PM

We have a Vax. It's not used that often as the floors downstairs and in the upstairs master bedroom are wooden, but there is still carpet in most of upstairs hall and spare bedrooms. It's ok but I don't use it often. It can snag the carpet if you are not careful and have a berber loop. I have stopped bothering with the solution. I just use hot water. Works pretty well IMO.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 11:09 PM

By the way Carol I am not sure how much the hire company charge but last time I used this many years ago it was about £40 and buying the machine cost less that £100. So IMO not worth it hiring.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 10:55 AM

Thanks for your answers everybody.
I've decided to hire a Rug Doctor for 24 hours from my local Tesco starting tomorrow at 10.00am.

Looks like I'm going to have a busy Sunday.

It costs £22. 95 so not too bad I thought - Plus the cleaning solution of course.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2017, 11:09 AM

Carol
is that one with heating to help dry out the carpet. If not then this time of year you may will be having a damp carpet for several days.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 02:25 PM

Oh sorry RS I forgot all about this thread & only just seen your post.

No it didn't have heating to dry out the carpets and yes it took a couple of days with the central heating on full blast to get them dry.

I was an idiot really. I should have cleaned them in the summer.

I didn't rate the machine much at all. It was big & bulky - very heavy and couldn't get into corners. On top of that it was in a terrible state when I collected it. The brushes were full of segments of the previous users carpet & the recovery tank contained water, grit & sand.

I had to give it a really good clean before I could use it. There should have been an instruction book with it but there wasn't. I had to go on YouTube to find out how to use it.

Next time I'll have a man in to do them..
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 03:11 PM

I do have a vax carpet cleaner and used on my cream carpets about 5 times . They came up nice and fresh but since then I've had new carpet fitted . I do think that once they are cleaned they become duller and dirtier quicker , anyone else found this ?
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I do have a vax carpet cleaner and used on my cream carpets about 5 times . They came up nice and fresh but since then I've had new carpet fitted . I do think that once they are cleaned they become duller and dirtier quicker , anyone else found this ?

Even though the shampoos say no need to rinse, I find if you don't the carpet is left crunchy and kind of sticky
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-12-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I can't say I have, when I wash mine they come up brighter almost like new again, they do need washing more regularly as they age though. One in our living room is almost twenty years old and gets done monthly now, new one in bedroom once it needs washing will likely need washing more often too to keep the brightness.

What does dull carpets is sunlight IMO the strip of carpet across middle of our living room is duller than anywhere else due to bright morning sunshine, you can see the affect on curtain lining in that room too.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top