Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 12:21 AM

The grave of Gelert

Not sure if this should be in Pets or General?

It is a sad tale, about how we shouldn't always jump to conclusions, which could be so tragically wrong.

Deep in Snowdonia National Park, there is a small village called Beddgelert - some of our Welsh members may know this place.

It is said this village was named after a faithful hound, Gelert who belonged to the 13th century, called Llywelyn.
The legend goes like this:

Many years ago, Prince Llywelyn went out hunting.
On this occasion, he left his loyal dog Gelert at home, looking after his infant son, asleep in his cradle.

Some hours later, and no doubt much to the concern of 13th century Social Services, he returned.
Upon going into his child's nursery, he was shocked to see the child's upturned cradle, with no sign of the boy. Seconds later, he saw Glert, his mouth dripping blood.

Enraged at what he saw, the Prince drew his sword and killed the dog on the spot. The legend has it that as the dying dog fell to the floor, Prince Llywelyn heard the plaintiff cries of a child. He turned to see his son, unharmed and safe, next to the bloodied body of a slain wolf, which Gelert had killed to protect the boy.

It is said that Llywelyn never smiled again, and buried his dog close by in the stunning valley, next to a tranquil stream. And there is lies now, in the village named after the dog. Beddgelert, grave of Gelert. His grave is marked with a huge boulder.

This sad story goes back many centuries.
However, some killjoys dispute this old tale and say that the gravestone of Gelert is a lot more recent.

They say that the large boulder that marks the spot is a little more recent, and was put there one dark night in the 19th century by the Landlord of the Goat Inn as a way to boost the tourist trade.

The Goat Inn still stands there today, serving fine beers, but there again, so does the grave of Gelert.

The truth? You decide . . . . .
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 12:31 AM

Re: The grave of Gelert

I have a photo of my first dog sitting in front of the Gelerts Grave ..taken 30yr ago
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 12:33 AM

That's interesting Eliza.

Which do you think is the true story?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 12:35 AM

Never heard of this Mups, but found a pic.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-12-2017, 12:36 AM

Aha. So it must be true.
Well done.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 12:40 AM

well id not heard about the 19th century story , ,I believed it to be the true grave. , but even if its not , its good that Gelert is remembered , I was told this story as a part of a history lesson by my welsh teacher when i was about 10, and its always stuck in my mind as a sad story , and one of the reasons we visited the spot , it had railings round if i remember right , think i might look for the photo tomorrow .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 12:46 AM

A bit of a myth Mups according to Wikipedia but what's the harm? It's a good story. Several other stories are based on the myth as is part of the Lady and the Tramp Disney movie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

10-12-2017, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A bit of a myth Mups according to Wikipedia but what's the harm? It's a good story. Several other stories are based on the myth as is part of the Lady and the Tramp Disney movie.

Who is to say it is a myth, Judd? How do Wiki know?
The only one to really know is long dead.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 09:19 AM

I visited the place with George & Dragon more than 50 odd years ago and I too took photo of the grave and stood on the little bridge crossing the stream there too.
Robert Jnr.
UK
Robert Jnr. is male  Robert Jnr. has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-12-2017, 09:29 AM

I've been there more than once and I totally believe it.

Even now it brings a lump to my throat when I think of that poor dog

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top