Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 08:30 AM

Re: should you expect sexual harassment at work ?

I suppose it depends what you term as inappropriate attention. Some of the examples reported recently I don't think of as particularly offensive but I suppose what each one of us finds offensive is different.

I have only once felt scared in a work situation and thinking back about it now does make me angry. No, I don't think we should expect harassment at work or anywhere else but define harassment ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:07 AM

As a person that hates being touched anyone just putting a hand on my arm to make a point will see me back away rapidly. Keep your hands to yourself at work please. In private you can get a group of friends who enjoy that bug at work be professional and don't assume we all want you to touch us.

I waited ages to tell them at work I had cancer because I dreaded the hugging I had to fortify myself and get it out in one evening so the hugging was just the once and I could fend them all off after that evening. I'm still to be seen rapidly hobbling as quick as I can in opposite direction if I see the accountant lady heading for me, she is a hugger oh my she is a hugger !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I suppose it depends what you term as inappropriate attention. Some of the examples reported recently I don't think of as particularly offensive but I suppose what each one of us finds offensive is different.

I have only once felt scared in a work situation and thinking back about it now does make me angry. No, I don't think we should expect harassment at work or anywhere else but define harassment ?
You are right there, I also think in the past things were different it was common for young lads joining workforce in our factory to be stripped and made to streak around the factory. I don't remember any of them not having a laugh about it, but these days that would be most definitely not allowed.

Girls had a big apron and allowed to keep their pants on to do it and anyone married was not expected to do it. Amazing how many of us were "married" at 16 just to get out of it
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:18 AM

So we should all have a tattoo on our foreheads explaining that we are either a hugger, a toucher or someone who will shout 'rape' at the first sign of friendship....Welcome to 'My Space'...invade it at your peril.....
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
As a person that hates being touched anyone just putting a hand on my arm to make a point will see me back away rapidly. Keep your hands to yourself at work please. In private you can get a group of friends who enjoy that bug at work be professional and don't assume we all want you to touch us.

I waited ages to tell them at work I had cancer because I dreaded the hugging I had to fortify myself and get it out in one evening so the hugging was just the once and I could fend them all off after that evening. I'm still to be seen rapidly hobbling as quick as I can in opposite direction if I see the accountant lady heading for me, she is a hugger oh my she is a hugger !
Julie if you dislike people touching you in a friendly way, why not just explain to them that you appreciate their concern and welcome their advice, but you dislike being touched. I am sure they wouldn't do it if they knew you disliked it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

12-12-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Julie if you dislike people touching you in a friendly way, why not just explain to them that you appreciate their concern and welcome their advice, but you dislike being touched. I am sure they wouldn't do it if they knew you disliked it.
Twink it's lovely to think that's possible but people always seem to think their hug will cure me, that I'm odd in some way. Well I probably am but I don't need curing, I love hugs from family mostly there are days I'll push away and say silly bogger no time for soppyness but generally I'm ok. My husbands the same we suit each other, I'm unsure how we managed to bring up such demonstrative kids they all hug for the olyimpics !

My friend Mel finds it hysterical when she sees my panicked face disappearing into the cleaning cupboard leaving bev wondering where I went I'm convinced she will wet herself one day laughing at us as she does.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:31 AM

What a world it would be if we all had to think things through before giving a well meaning hug or a welcoming kiss on the cheek......a world I do not recognise and a world I certainly won't welcome.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Twink it's lovely to think that's possible but people always seem to think their hug will cure me, that I'm odd in some way. Well I probably am but I don't need curing, I love hugs from family mostly there are days I'll push away and say silly bogger no time for soppyness but generally I'm ok. My husbands the same we suit each other, I'm unsure how we managed to bring up such demonstrative kids they all hug for the olyimpics !

My friend Mel finds it hysterical when she sees my panicked face disappearing into the cleaning cupboard leaving bev wondering where I went I'm convinced she will wet herself one day laughing at us as she does.
I don't see you as odd but, now I know you dislike being hugged, I would never do it. If I met you now and you told me something that was upsetting you, I would be more likely to ask if I could do anything to help. Sometimes a lift to the hospital or a chat on the phone are more comforting than a hug.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Hi

Nope, we should not expect sexual harassment at work.

We should however be able to discriminate between sexual harassment and genuine concern from others.

When I returned to work after my Quadruple Bypass and my wife leaving, I got loads of hugs and kisses from the ladies.

I did not consider that harassment at all, it was just genuine expressions of concern.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I don't see you as odd but, now I know you dislike being hugged, I would never do it. If I met you now and you told me something that was upsetting you, I would be more likely to ask if I could do anything to help. Sometimes a lift to the hospital or a chat on the phone are more comforting than a hug.
And what lovely hugs they are....phwoooaaaar

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top