Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 03:56 PM

Re: Schools closing at the drop of a snowflake

My school never closed .
Nor did they allow us such namby pampby habits of staying in at break time .
No out we went to freeze .
I remember we used to make ice 'slides ' they were absolutely lethal but great fun!
In class it was cold too unless you were at the front near the stove an evil monster who was both temperatmental and stinky .I was a martyr to childblains due to standing at bus stops in the cold in fact I was always cold as a child . Our house was cold my bedroom was an ice box with the frost inside the windows and the bed heaped with old coats in really cold weather making it impossible to move .
Yea gods I am surprised we all survived !
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
If a teacher or child were injured or killed on way to and from school we'd all say why did they open. They can't win either way.
Would you really say that because it wouldn't occur to me to even think that. That's like saying nobody should go to the shop in case they have an accident - is that the shops fault for being open?

People die in car accidents, bike accidents, freak accidents, sailing boats, falling in canals etc. They are what they are, accidents.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:15 PM

The Snowflake Generation?
Yes they are and as per this article, I blame the parents.
I do!

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/...he_parents___/

WE are finally reaping what we sow when it comes to the so-called Snowflake Generation.

These are today’s young people who have been so cosseted that they just can’t cope with what is thrown at them, in studies or work.

This last week, a Cambridge professor who emailed advice to students asking them to work hard and avoid getting drunk was accused of “damaging their mental wellbeing".

Some students there are, apparently, such a delicate breed that work must take second place to having a good time. Plainly, the consequences of doing what they went to university for – rather than drinking too much and neglecting their studies – can affect their mental health. Absolute rubbish! At the same time, a junior teacher Eddie Ledsham quit his teaching job in a primary school after one term because he couldn’t cope with the workload and getting home at 6.30pm. Instead, the 22 year-old went working in a Greek holiday resort.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
My school never closed .
Nor did they allow us such namby pampby habits of staying in at break time .
No out we went to freeze .
I remember we used to make ice 'slides ' they were absolutely lethal but great fun!
In class it was cold too unless you were at the front near the stove an evil monster who was both temperatmental and stinky .I was a martyr to childblains due to standing at bus stops in the cold in fact I was always cold as a child . Our house was cold my bedroom was an ice box with the frost inside the windows and the bed heaped with old coats in really cold weather making it impossible to move .
Yea gods I am surprised we all survived !
OMG I remember the frozen windows inside. My bedroom faced North and was icy cold. We had no central heating only coal fires downstairs and one bedroom had a fireplace which was only ever lit if one of us was ill in bed.

I had Lino on my bedroom floor and one year my mum bought me a small,pink fluffy rug and I was overjoyed! We used to put the next days clothes in bed with us to keep them warm and jump into them as soon as we woke up. Mum used to hang our coats and hats and scarves around the kitchen fire to warm up. Before we went out.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 04:29 PM

There's no doubt about it. We have become soft.

It does not bode well for the future.
Franbern
London
Franbern is female  Franbern has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:15 PM

Yes, and in the past we all lived in caves and eat whatever the hunters brought home, or else just died.
Things have moved on. For a start -many teachers now have been forced to live very many miles away from the schools in which they work, often having to add on to their already long working days, two hours plus in commuting. In the past most would have lived within walking distance of the schools.
Yes, and we do actually care about the well being of the children. If playground areas are dangerous and could become the cause of someone getting broken bones, then it really is not safe.
Know it difficult for working parents, but just think that a day or two at home with their children could be great for all of them.
I really would far rather ensure that everything was safe, rather than be sorry later.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:21 PM

Its terrible, all the Schools around here closed for just 3cms of snow. When we were at School you had to go to School whether you liked it or not, but we loved it playing snowballs in the playground.

I think these days the Teachers are scared that the Parents might sue them if little Tommy falls and sprains his wrist etc.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:40 PM

So it's not because they have a power cut? I could understand that as a reason and also if half the teachers can't get in then they would not have sufficient numbers to supervise children.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Franbern ->
Yes, and in the past we all lived in caves and eat whatever the hunters brought home, or else just died.
Things have moved on. For a start -many teachers now have been forced to live very many miles away from the schools in which they work, often having to add on to their already long working days, two hours plus in commuting. In the past most would have lived within walking distance of the schools.
Yes, and we do actually care about the well being of the children. If playground areas are dangerous and could become the cause of someone getting broken bones, then it really is not safe.
Know it difficult for working parents, but just think that a day or two at home with their children could be great for all of them.
I really would far rather ensure that everything was safe, rather than be sorry later.
I agree with you, we don't have closures here still no snow but I'd rather keep mine at home than risk anyone's life to get them there.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 05:48 PM

Re Norway... it's ludicrous to compare what happens in a country where seriously freezing temperatures, deep deep snow, snow drifts, ice, etc etc for half the year in some parts are THE NORM, and here where kids can get to five or six years old and not even know what snow looks like!!!

I'm in stitches here reading these posts out loud, it's like Monty Python!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top