Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:37 PM

Re: Schools closing at the drop of a snowflake

Originally Posted by Norway ->
U K children have become "Nesh" as my mother would say, mainly due to their over protective parents. they will never grow up normally , this can be seen now in many of todays 18-25 year olds
Never a truer word spoken.

'Nesh' - a good Yorkshire word, and if anyone here isn't familiar with it, it describes Theresa May precisely!
Paul1234
New Member!
Merseyside
Paul1234 is male 

13-12-2017, 12:23 AM

It's funny how poeple get nostalgic for the past when poeple were not wimps. However society has changed and health and safety has saved many lives.Good examples of this are not smoking in public places which caused lung cancer by passive smoking, Roy castle who never smoked ,but worked in night clubs died prematurely of lung cancer. So the law protects workers who worked in a smoke filled environment. There are many other example such and drink driving laws, use of air bags in cars, reducing speed limits etc..
I myself remember the winter of 1963, but today poeple tend to travel further to work and use roads more often, schools close because it is dangerous to travel to work in hazardous conditions, thus saving lives.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:30 AM

I certainly agree re the smoking. My earlier life was one constant battle with b***dy smokers smoking over my children and everywhere they could .
Long haul flights were a nightmare as the smoking in. A plane goes everywhere .ditto buses and cinemas and pubs .
Things are much better today .
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 10:18 AM

I really dont see what smoking has to do with children going to school or school closures, but do appreciate that if Staff have to travel further it can cause problems , so leave home EARLIER!! . I bet there are very few that live a distance from school that would even consider leaving earlier, more a case of " Oh lets wait and see if they close the school".
Transport , better road systems have now also led to teachers being able to travel to a school 20 miles away on a daily basis, so until authorities insist on staff living in the catchment area of the schools that they teach in the problem will not go away. Rather ridiculous that the people that teach our children are also the ones that can decide if the children should miss one or more days of Education because of maybe bad weather.

So in the U K the problem will not go away, but what must be watched are the excuses for school closure. Health and safety can be twisted to suit many situations.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 10:38 AM

I was talking to a Canadian lady at work last night she was amazed our planes don't fly if we have snow on the ground, apparently in 15 foot of snow their planes fly. After some discussion the reason became clear, no they aren't braver, more determined at all they have a lot of snow so have heated runways ! Well if we had months of it we might too but ours is a few days at a time so not worth doing that.

That's made me think how many of the far braver nations have special things that make it easier to get around !

Just IMO but I really don't want to see kids struggling through snow, or teachers struggling in, there is no need and the odd day or two off is lovely so the kids can enjoy the snow outside or spend a day snuggled warm in doors. I don't want to miss those days, they are the special days of childhood for them.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Never a truer word spoken.

'Nesh' - a good Yorkshire word, and if anyone here isn't familiar with it, it describes Theresa May precisely!
Hey JBR.
There was no call for that!
You leave our lovely Theresa May out of this.
You hear?

As for the Snowflake generation.
When dealing with them
Please:

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top