Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:23 AM

Poverty today

Listening to LBC
Poverty today .
The return of rickets ,parents fainting in the playground through malnutrition and bringing in their mobiles to charge in school as their electricity has been cut off .
Is this true ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:27 AM

Re: Poverty today

Basically in many areas yes. I know some of the cleaners bring their chargers to work and fall on any food left out to take home to kids. I've never seen things quite this bad since poll tax caused one chap I worked with to begin eating out of the bins
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:36 AM

The other issue is that people who are signed off work by a GP can be told by the DWP that they are fit for work and must look for it else lose their benefits .
The example given was a man in his fifties who was diagnosed with depression and PTSD who doctors note was overruled by the job centre.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Listening to LBC
Poverty today .
The return of rickets ,parents fainting in the playground through malnutrition and bringing in their mobiles to charge in school as their electricity has been cut off .
Is this true ?
The irony.....is it only me that see's this?

Skint, living in poverty but......needing to charge their mobiles because they can/'t afford the electricity
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:41 AM

Many carry mobiles for safety tpin, they don't have a landline the mobile is far cheaper. My colleagues use them just for emergencies as we don't have public phones any more but they need to know their kids are ok while they are working. I wouldn't say they are a luxury these days you can get a basic for £20 and many have ones they have been given, payg at a couple of pounds a month. Not a great expense.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

13-12-2017, 11:42 AM

No Tpin I see it .
I didn't own a mobile until I was in my forties .
The phone I have now is a basic Nokia one charge lasts for about two weeks.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
The irony.....is it only me that see's this?

Skint, living in poverty but......needing to charge their mobiles because they can/'t afford the electricity
No, I saw it too Tpin.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:44 AM

When I worked in a factory, everyone charged their phones at work. Not because they couldn't afford it but because they were getting something for nothing.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Many carry mobiles for safety tpin, they don't have a landline the mobile is far cheaper. My colleagues use them just for emergencies as we don't have public phones any more but they need to know their kids are ok while they are working. I wouldn't say they are a luxury these days you can get a basic for £20 and many have ones they have been given, payg at a couple of pounds a month. Not a great expense.
They are a great expense if you have FA.

How do you know they are for safety?

I don't buy it.....it's for nattering in many cases.

I also wonder if 40" TV's are included in the poverty they suffer.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

13-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No Tpin I see it .
I didn't own a mobile until I was in my forties .
The phone I have now is a basic Nokia one charge lasts for about two weeks.
How many of the young mums or dads have a £20 phone?

Half wouldn't be seen dead without the latest Samsung or iPhone.

I don't doubt there are people living on the breadline, something that shouldn't be......but I question the latest definition of poverty and how some have got there, if at all.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top