Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Re: Poverty today

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
They are a great expense if you have FA.

How do you know they are for safety?

I don't buy it.....it's for nattering in many cases.

I also wonder if 40" TV's are included in the poverty they suffer.
I know mainly because I chat to people find out who they are and what they are like. I'm nosy like that

I used to carry mine for safety offices have locks on phones at night so if I needed an ambulance only way to get one was my own phone. It traveled all over in bottom of my bag, as it aged it needed charging daily the battery was shot but that was an expense I wasn't going to buy one. Phone was less than £15 and I paid £2 a month for my nattering.

I don't think I'm unique in any way, well apart from this mornings disaster with my wig it just won't lay down at the back I think Elsie sat on it over night ! That's only uniqueness about me today.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 01:12 PM

The irony.....is it only me that see's this?

Skint, living in poverty but......needing to charge their mobiles because they can/'t afford the electricity
Mobiles are a damn site cheaper than paying for a landline and calls. I do have a landline, but however my secondhand mobile, which was given to me, cost nothing and I use PAYG, so again costs very little. Before condemning others, think, a mobile in many cases is not a status symbol but a necessity.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 01:22 PM

How many of the young mums or dads have a £20 phone?

Half wouldn't be seen dead without the latest Samsung or iPhone.

I don't doubt there are people living on the breadline, something that shouldn't be......but I question the latest definition of poverty and how some have got there, if at all.

Definition of poverty:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/educat...initions.shtml
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Mobiles are a damn site cheaper than paying for a landline and calls. I do have a landline, but however my secondhand mobile, which was given to me, cost nothing and I use PAYG, so again costs very little. Before condemning others, think, a mobile in many cases is not a status symbol but a necessity.
Hi

You are dead genuine, one of the one's we should be looking after.

The prats at the back have iPhones and are constantly on Facebook.

That is what I object to.

They are unfit to work, but fit enough to fight, offer to mow lawns and definitely fit enough to scale a six foot fence and nick stuff.

They are also the first to complain when they get a kicking for doing so.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 02:55 PM

For people completely off the grid (ie. illegal Romanians) I believe poverty exists.

For the rest, I doubt it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
For people completely off the grid (ie. illegal Romanians) I believe poverty exists.

For the rest, I doubt it.
You doubt all you want till it rises up and smacks you in the gob!!!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
You doubt all you want till it rises up and smacks you in the gob!!!
Been there - I was homeless for 10 years, now I'm well-off and intend to stay that way.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

13-12-2017, 03:21 PM

Been there - I was homeless for 10 years, now I'm well-off and intend to stay that way.

Bully for you, others aren't so lucky!!!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

13-12-2017, 03:25 PM

Oh, I wasn't lucky - I worked hard to turn it around.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

13-12-2017, 03:28 PM

Oh, I wasn't lucky - I worked hard to turn it around.

Yes you were lucky - you had the opportunity to work to improve your situation, many of the 'rough sleepers' don't even have that!!!

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top