Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 03:36 PM

Re: Poverty today

Oh, dear, I couldn't read that.

People make choices and choosing homelessness and "poverty" seems pretty popular; never mind being a responsible citizen, let's get wasted and wreck our accommodation and get kicked out - forget the kids, they were just to get extra benefits anyway.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 04:44 PM

Having been homeless ourselves there is a certain amount of luck getting back. Hard work alone doesn't do it we worked all through our homelessness. Could have work 24 hours a day and still needed luck to get us out of our car into a flat.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Mobiles are a damn site cheaper than paying for a landline and calls. I do have a landline, but however my secondhand mobile, which was given to me, cost nothing and I use PAYG, so again costs very little. Before condemning others, think, a mobile in many cases is not a status symbol but a necessity.
Ball cocks.

How many young parents have you seen with £20 phones????

Poverty isn't having to make do with a £20 mobile phone and 36" TV.....it's not being able to feed your kids or yourself.

These recent TV news articles are nothing more than sensationalism.......a new fashion amongst the reporters.

Of course poverty exists when really it shouldn't but, come on, some of those claiming to be poverty stricken aren't, in the true sense.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yes you were lucky - you had the opportunity to work to improve your situation, many of the 'rough sleepers' don't even have that!!!

Why not UJ ?
May we have some tangible reasons ?
I can accept that some people have mental issues and they are to be pitied and helped .
Drink and drug addiction what do you say to that ?
These also need help .
But how it has to come from within too .
In the uk everyone has an opportunity to not sleep on the streets because there are shelters and hostels .
So tell us why they still do ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Why not UJ ?
May we have some tangible reasons ?
I can accept that some people have mental issues and they are to be pitied and helped .
Drink and drug addiction what do you say to that ?
These also need help .
But how it has to come from within too .
In the uk everyone has an opportunity to not sleep on the streets because there are shelters and hostels .
So tell us why they still do ?

Here beginneth the lesson, please read, study and inwardly digest.

How do 'rough sleepers' apply for a job, when asked very basic questions of address - what should they reply??? How would an employer contact a 'rough sleeper' to inform him/her the application for employment has been ((un)/successful??

shelters and hostels: Those run by Councils are either chocker full or have been closed down because of lack of funding from central government to maintain them.

Drink & Drugs, yes many rough sleepers take drink and drugs as an escape mechanism from the miserable lives they lead. These people too need to be helped.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 09:40 AM

Hi

I would simply remind you UJ that in your Communist Paradise, not working was a Criminal Offence.

Work or starve.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 09:53 AM

Fainting from malnutrition? Where are these people? Just look around you do you see any thin malnourished people ?

Rubbish !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Fainting from malnutrition? Where are these people? Just look around you do you see any thin malnourished people ?

Rubbish !

Then I suggest you try looking a little harder - yes, homeless people have fainted from hunger, one or two have even died, through a combination of cold, hunger and pulmonary diseases.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:06 AM

I think summer was referring to mothers coming into school and fainting from malnutrition ( which was mentioned on LBC yesterday ) I may be wrong .
All homeless people receive some sort of benefit not all are rough sleepers some are in shelters or B and Bs .of course if money is spent on drugs or alcohol there will be none for food .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 10:17 AM

Yes , thankyou muddy, the report said people were fainting from malnutrition in the playground picking up their kids it also said women were bringing in washing to the school to be washed? I really do think the report was more fiction than fact and politically motivated.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top