Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 11:49 AM

Re: Wow! Haven't Times Changed!

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
That was a nice heart-warming read.

I wonder how she would have fared these days?
I agree with all that you say there Ffosse.
But in answer to your simple question, sad to say I think that lovely Lady would have been lost amongst the crowds and have had a real struggle on to get home nowadays.

Having said that, the Lady ran into her horrible situation in Liverpool and on Merseyside.
Of course we are renowned for our friendliness towards people, as depicted in that lovely song.

Ferry Cross The Mersey.

Life goes on day after day
Hearts torn in every way

So ferry 'cross the Mersey
'Cause this land's the place I love
And here I'll stay

People they rush everywhere
Each with their own secret care
So ferry 'cross the Mersey
And always take me there
The place I love

People around every corner
They seem to smile and say
We don't care what your name is boy
We'll never turn you away

So I'll continue to say
Here I always will stay

So ferry 'cross the Mersey'
Cause this land's the place I love
And here I'll stay
And here I'll stay
Here I'll stay .

shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2017, 12:53 PM

Re: Wow! Haven't Times Changed!

I like to think we still care. We live in a rural area not too far from Swimmy. If we are out and about and see people in town who are waiting at the bus-stops, or those more fit who have decided to walk, we will always stop and offer them a lift.

Of course it's not like back in the 50's where it seemed, prior to technology, people had more opportunity to be more helpful to one another, but every little act of helpfulness must contribute to being part of a community.
Obviously, those living in large towns and cities couldn't be expected the same, I doubt if there is the same community spirit that there once was, which is sad but inevitable.

When I was younger I wouldn't hesitate to thumb a lift with my friend to get to the clubs in Chester and Manchester, and back home again at 2 in the morning, munching on a shared Burger and Chips with our thumbs held aloft for a lift home. We never once thought of safety. But nowadays, HWMO and I would never pick up a hitchiker,(even a woman). Sad but better to be safe than sorry.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top