Join for free
Page 56 of 190 « First < 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 156 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2016, 09:20 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Thanks May and Myrtle, I might be slower these days but I am persistent.....

A thought occurred to me this morning while out running; The Worksop Half Marathon took place today (always on the Sunday after the clocks have changed) and over the years I have competed here on many occasions, in fact I ran my fastest ever half marathon ( 1 hour 23 minutes) a time that I could only beat now on the bike or in the car. It left me feeling a little sad that I will not run there again......

Thanks again for looking in May and Myrtle, it is much appreciated.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 12:28 PM

After Sunday's 'It turned out alright on the day' run, I set off for a swift six on Tuesday morning. A dull ache in my left buttock suggested that problem had not gone away, but like Sunday I expected it to diminish as the run progressed. It did not, if fact it got worse and before long the muscles in my lower back and buttock clamped the sciatic nerve and made running very difficult. I staggered home about two minutes slower than usual and during breakfast downed a ibuprofen.

It did very little to ease the pain and spent most of my day surfing the forum and catching up with some previously recorded TV programmes. Wednesday turned out much the same. Did the Tesco shop and drove to the town (I usually walk or take the bus) to take care of some business, and then loitered around the house avoiding any kind of a job.

So the decision was easy this morning, I decided not to run and give myself chance to recover, I am still optimistic that the 26 miles remaining to notch up one thousand mile for this year is still possible. It's been quite a while since I had to postpone a run due to injury but nothing lasts forever and each time I get sidelined I wonder if this is the final chapter in my 40 year long running career.

Why is it that when the best thing to do is rest, is the time when I feel the need to get out and exercise the most? I can feel some cycling coming on!
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2016, 01:15 PM

Hi OGF

Sorry that your pain in the bum is no better .... I'm sure you will easily clock up the 26 miles needed to make the 1,000 target ... so just take it easy for a little while until you feel fit enough.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-11-2016, 09:25 PM

It's so hard not doing something that I've been used to doing for the last forty years. So on Sunday I decided to go for a five mile walk, I added a little bit of jogging here and there but I knew things were not right and I could only manage short bursts until the muscles (Gluteus Maximus) clamped my sciatic nerve and made running very uncomfortable. After a short walk the pain subsided and allowed me to jog a little further but it was still nice to be out all the same.

I will continue to walk as often as I can and try to find some alternative means of exercising while the problem persists. Perhaps swimming and cycling but I know from previous experience it will take at least six weeks before I will be able to start running again. I will keep my chin up and just enjoy the enforced rest, I have many hobbies that will help to pass the time.

My lower back is aching now as I write this but I intend to walk another circuit first thing in the morning so Ibuprofen at bedtime and see what happens....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2016, 09:42 PM

Hi

So sorry about your troubles Bob, but at least you are positive and getting on with it, which is the most important thing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-11-2016, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

So sorry about your troubles Bob, but at least you are positive and getting on with it, which is the most important thing.
Thanks Swim, if the worst comes to the worst I'll come and do some fishing with you.....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2016, 10:55 PM

Still strong here, still no side effects. long may it be so.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2016, 11:00 PM

I did teeter today whilst DIY ing.

That could be misconstrued.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2016, 12:38 AM

time to give up Bob and start building [no not body]
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

08-11-2016, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I did teeter today whilst DIY ing.

That could be misconstrued.
Did you mean Mis-con-Screwed Spitty?

Page 56 of 190 « First < 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 106 156 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top