Join for free
Page 6 of 190 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 > Last »
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 06:37 PM

Re: Bob's Bits.

Robert, I've a feeling you deserved a sleep
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 09:50 PM

Thanks Alice, I don't normally like to sleep on the sofa, but FIL comes for his lunch on a Sunday so we all retire to the lounge afterwards and the inevitable happens.

I had posted two accounts of the Cuckoo Way: A 46 mile ramble along the Chesterfield Canal from West Stockwith to Chesterfield. I had completed three ten mile sections, the last two were done using the bike. Unfortunately, I can find no record [either report or photographs] for the last section. I had just made a few notes in my walking log.
I parked the car at Kiverton Park Railway Station and cycled the 12 miles back to Ranby, where the bike was chained to the fence outside Ranby Village Hall. I then followed the canal back to Kiveton Park on foot. I mentioned in my notes that it was quite foggy, so that could be responsible for the absence of photographs. I ended the walk where the canal disappeared due to the construction of the M1 motorway back in the sixties. Some restoration work had been done on some sections to make it navigable again.
A very enjoyable and interesting walk, and using this method of using the bike and walking back proved to be very useful in the planning of future expeditions.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 10:28 PM

News Flash Just In.....Ranby to Kiverton photographs Found.....Enjoy.....
Approaching Worksop.

The halfway point between West Stockwith and Chesterfield

Lunch..

Turnerwood Lock, a very scenic area, I always said I would return here in the summer.

One of the local residents

Brickyard Double Lock Number 30 I've never seen so many locks one after the other.

It's always good to see the bike is still there when I get back.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2015, 11:15 PM

ah memories of a bye gone age. I was introduce to locks and canals as a young teenager having left city life and settle amongst some of the rolling hills of cheshire. Used to cycle 10miles to see a girlfriend and leave the push bike leaning against her front hedge, unlocked, whilst we walked along empty silent canal pathways. I would even do it in rain covered from head to foot in yellow cape, leggings and cap - not a pretty site but where the heart takes...................
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2015, 08:10 AM

Walking is such a great way to keep healthy. In the 70`s i injured my back during Judo training, later that year i further damaged it at work, and was told to give up all such excercise. It frequently caused problems, and after another event i asked my GP if there was any altrnative to 2 weeks on the sick with painkillers.

His answer was to crawl around on my hands and knees to help with the damaged muscle, i was less than impressed so tried swimming and walking.

Over time my walking became more ambitious with hillwalking becoming a weekend pursuit, and i was asked to be a voluntary warden for the Northumberland National Park.

I went on to do other physical hobbies as my back pain had dissapeared, cant manage the hills these days but still do a few miles on my bird and wildlfe surveys.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2015, 10:04 AM

good on ya nom - the body can heal itself with gentle persuasion and sometimes without the help of quacks!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-02-2015, 03:30 PM

I remember those yellow capes Gumbud, with little loops inside to tuck your thumbs in while riding. Wore it regularly while cycling to work in the rain.
There are some nice looking canals in Cheshire; The Macclesfield Canal looks like one I could explore in more detail.

You've done well Nom, these days everything is done with medication. I believe that if you can keep your mobility, you will stay healthy, be it running, walking, swimming or cycling. If I get injured and can't run, I'll just switch to another sport that I can do.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-02-2015, 04:52 PM

Nice outdoor pics Robert. It's great getting out and about in the fresh air. Does you good and lifts the spirits
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

24-02-2015, 11:49 AM

Entry:-240215
Payback Time.
It is my belief that provided you build up to it slowly, the human body is capable of extraordinary feats of strength and endurance. Indeed, during the ten years that I was Marathon running, every Sunday would contain a run of over twenty miles. It made very little difference whether I ran a Marathon or just my usual Sunday long run, my body had come to expect a ‘long hard run’ on a Sunday, and had duly prepared for it by conserving and storing energy throughout the week. I received a phone call one Saturday night from a friend who had accompanied me on many marathons and long distance fell runs. There was a marathon being run in Derby on the next day and they would accept entries on the day. We had run the Telford Marathon just the week before, but we accepted the challenge and ran the Derby. I was a couple of minutes faster on the Derby Marathon than the one at Telford: This was only possible due to the training methods employed, and it was not the last time that we did this.
The little mental prod I receive that turns me out of bed and on to the street on run days, was also causing mischief last week when it had me running further on my Sunday run. So this morning, with an extra couple of miles in my legs I set off for my Tuesday Five. I felt good as I ran with the wind behind me, and I danced lightly over tarmac and muddy paths. I was soon turning onto the footpath that led me along the side of the main road. Although there was no standing traffic, it was endless, and the next mile and a half was so noisy. Although it’s not my favourite part of the run, I suddenly realised that I love the contrast; because as I entered the cul-de-sac that takes me to the lane and out into the country, you really appreciate the silence after the roar of the traffic.
With just over three miles covered I attacked the rough surface of the lane. It was overcast but dry, going was firm underfoot, but I was now running with the wind in my face, I could feel energy ebbing away. It didn’t get any better; I found myself gasping for air, and the wind continued to buffet me around. Legs were fast turning to rubber as I crossed the railway line and up the small gradient at the other side. Only a quarter of a mile remains and I dug deep into my reserves; unable to speak, I lumbered on to the drive and stopped the watch. Expecting to see a poor time I glanced down through blurred, watering eyes, and tried to make sense of the figures staring back at me…..Only one minute slower than my best time for that course……That’ll do nicely.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2015, 06:57 PM

Great effort and loved the pics . Sadly no canals in this necck of the woods .

Page 6 of 190 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 106 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top