Join for free
Page 4 of 39 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Boot
England
Boot is female  Boot has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2017, 11:00 PM

Re: McCann family to launch new legal battle using "Find Maddie" funds.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
The trouble is this happened in a country where they have different rules to us, here it would be against all rules to publish a book like that but from what I can make out its not uncommon in other countries for it to happen.

No good judging by our standards when the policeman is doing what is allowed in his.
It may be legal in his country and I have no jurisdiction over his behaviour - it's still morally wrong in my eyes.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by boot ->
in my opinion, it makes no difference whether this guy's suspicions are right or wrong - these allegations of his should be put to the police force in his country if he feels they should be investigated further. Otherwise, he should just keep quiet and honour the confidentiality constraints he must have had to abide by as a police officer. He should not be publishing his suspicions, based on information gathered as a police officer, in some sensational book for public consumption.

Yes, the mccanns made a big mistake in leaving their children in that way, as did all the other parents in that group, but it's something that many other parents have done in the past and now think 'there but for the grace of god go i'

i don't have children, so it's hard for me to imagine, but when the news of madeleine's abduction first broke, quite a few people i know who had families told me that they could remember times when they had put their kids to bed in a hotel, then had dinner in the restaurant downstairs while their kids slept upstairs.
I don't suppose anyone can blame the mccanns more than they have probably been blaming themselves ever since madeleine was taken.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
It may be legal in his country and I have no jurisdiction over his behaviour - it's still morally wrong in my eyes.

Absolutely.
And its not legal in most countries.
The Police officer was suspended from the force at the time of the Mccann inquiry for perjury in another case.
A case that involved the disappearance of another little ( Portuguese ) girl seven miles away. He convicted the mother- (who was beaten into a confession in jail - a confession she retracted once she was allowed to have a lawyer) -and uncle of her murder despite the fact he had no evidence and no body was ever found. - Of course these were poor Portuguese up against one of the most corrupt systems in Europe.Uneducated and without influence.
He though he could play the same trick with the McCanns but found himself up against two educated determined people and the eyes of the world press . Not so easy.
Also at the time the man was - and still is deeply in debt .
He has taken advantage of his position to make money out of a families devastating tragedy.
The man is utterly despicable .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Absolutely.
The Police officer was suspended from the force at the time of the Mccann inquiry for perjury in another case.
A case that involved the disappearance of another little ( Portuguese ) girl seven miles away. He convicted the mother- (who was beaten into a confession in jail - a confession she retracted once she was allowed to have a lawyer) -and uncle of her murder despite the fact he had no evidence and no body was ever found. - Of course these were poor Portuguese up against one of the most corrupt systems in Europe.Uneducated and without influence.
He though he could play the same trick with the McCanns but found himself up against two educated determined people and the eyes of the world press . Not so easy.
He has taken advantage of his position to make money out of a families devastating tragedy.
The man is utterly despicable

I suspect you're right there Muddy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Absolutely.
The man is utterly despicable .
Portugal is part of the EU. If their own judicial system is corrupt, surely they could be overruled by the European court.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Boot ->
I don't suppose anyone can blame the McCanns more than they have probably been blaming themselves ever since Madeleine was taken.
I think for most people - especially those of us with children, this is the problem. They have never, as far as I know, stood up in public and taken responsibility or shown remorse for their part in Maddie's disappearance. That together with their public personas, which come across to most people as arrogant, cold and at times, obnoxious, has meant that they have never got the public sympathy which other couples in similar circumstances might receive.

The fact that they are wealthy, articulate and had the ability to manipulate those in high places didn't help their cause with the public either. As many have said at the time and often since, if the McCanns had been working class folk living on a council estate, they would have been crucified for leaving their children alone and probably would have had the other kids put into care as well.
Silbee
Wales ... aka God's pocket.
Silbee is female  Silbee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think for most people - especially those of us with children, this is the problem. They have never, as far as I know, stood up in public and taken responsibility or shown remorse for their part in Maddie's disappearance. That together with their public personas, which come across to most people as arrogant, cold and at times, obnoxious, has meant that they have never got the public sympathy which other couples in similar circumstances might receive.

The fact that they are wealthy, articulate and had the ability to manipulate those in high places didn't help their cause with the public either. As many have said at the time and often since, if the McCanns had been working class folk living on a council estate, they would have been crucified for leaving their children alone and probably would have had the other kids put into care as well.
So very well said ...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Silbee ->
So very well said ...
Thumbs up from me too, you've hit the nail on the head
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 01:16 PM

And from me, excellent summary.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2017, 01:36 PM

No one with any sense or compassion. believes that the McCanns were involved in any way .
There are small minded malicious people who wish them ill
They are not really interested in finding 'Maddie ' ( who was known to her family as Madeleine ) but in vilifying the parents .
Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves who knows?
The crooked copper should be jailed for libel.
He writes a fairy tale based on no evidence at all libelling the parents . haven't they got enough to bear without this man causing them more grief ?
Not only is their child gone they will never find here but some AH money grabbing corrupt copper says they killed her and the malicious credulous believe it .
They should not have to defend theirselves at all .
They are in a dreadful position that no doubt will give glee to their mindless ill wishers.
Even if the McCanns didn't deliberately orchestrate their child's disappearance, which is probably unlikely, by being neglectful and leaving their children on their own, whilst they wined and dined, they contributed to her loss.

Page 4 of 39 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top