Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Re: Giving to charity..

I too find the term "black brats" offensive and uncalled for, especially since there are very many "white brats" too, usually over indulged and badly behaved. You cannot blame African children for being born, anymore than you can blame any child for being born. Also you need to understand a little that in many parts of African countries sex education, in fact any education, is either at a minimum or none existent, many outlying villages still exist as they did many years ago. African thinking is that the more children you have the better you will be looked after when you are old and unable to look after yourself. Unfortunately it's a vicious circle, they can't afford to educate and feed their children and so another generation grows up with the same mindset producing more children that won't be educated and so it goes on and on.

Even the lucky ones who have had a good education still find themselves in difficulty. Even if they have what is termed "a good job" the salaries they are paid is literally peanuts and barely covers the rent on a concrete hut with a toilet shared between maybe 20 families. If they can afford one electric lightbulb then they are indeed well off. It is only the people from extremely well off families who manage to get work in UK or other european countries, or getting there by illegal means, often because families have clubbed together to pay someone believing that the illegal will soon be able to make money to send home.

I have a Kenyan Goddaughter, her parents are well educated and work all hours God sends, they are determined to give their daughter a better life but it is a huge struggle for them. They are considered well off, they have electricity, one bare light bulb and they have a small television which we gave them, we also try to help where we can with school uniform and books, which they cannot possibly afford.

Poverty and ignorance breeds more poverty and ignorance. Is there any answer to it? I don't know but having seen first hand how some of the charities perform and how some of the charity workers behave, I guess not.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 03:28 PM

Clumsy - thank you so much for a 'brilliant' post.
I find the little charities are so forthright in their attempts. Last year I read of a lady who so wanted to help. She went to africa and was enchanted by the children as I am.. She thought of a way to prevent them having to walk miles for water and have some fun too. She came up with a 'roundabout' idea, the kiddies would get on and while going around - the water was being pumped !! Such a great idea...
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
She came up with a 'roundabout' idea, the kiddies would get on and while going around - the water was being pumped !! Such a great idea...
That is exactly the kind of "intermediate technology" that some of the poorer countries need. Technology that can be maintained and replaced cheaply by the people themselves, rather than having to import expensive parts and technicians when things (inevitably) go wrong.

Mick
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 01:22 AM

I've had genuine charities come to my door to ask if I'll donate to this or that, and I've said yes, providing that someone will come and pick up my donation on a weekly or monthly basis.

No, they won't do that. They want you to donate by DD on a monthly basis for which they ask you for your bank details. Er ..... nope. The only organisation that has my bank details is my bank.

I donate good quality clothing to the local charity shop which I take myself and that's all I do.

Charity begins at home.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2013, 11:10 AM

I think there are two dimensions to consider when giving to charities (abroad and at home). Firstly there is the giving that is needed in times of crisis and then secondly there is the longer haul investment which involves planning and giving monies/support to help develop people's lives so they can subsequently help themselves. I do give to charities in times of crisis, but carefully select where and how I give my support for the longer term.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2013, 08:40 AM

We have given to 10 charities for years and never had people from charities come begging for donations. OK, we get the odd one through the post but not that often.
david_ballard
New Member!
London
david_ballard is male 

04-01-2013, 01:14 PM

Always given anonymously, that way I can't be hounded!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by david_ballard ->
Always given anonymously, that way I can't be hounded!
Thats exactly what I do now, its the best way to avoid unnecessary and unwanted mail....
Calico Joe
England
Calico Joe is male  Calico Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 01:45 PM

I don't give to charities any more, I think they are corrupt, pay their staff, especially the CEO, enormous salaries and spend far too much money on advertising.
Sad but true
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Thats exactly what I do now, its the best way to avoid unnecessary and unwanted mail....
I don't think I've had any unwanted males. I give by DD to one charity which did ask if I could possibly increase it but when I said No but I can Decrease it and if they contact again I will do, they've been nice and quiet, and I don't think I'm bothered by anyone on the phone cos unless they have a phone number I don't answer and Google it to see, if it's any one for me they'll leave a message or ring back.
The unwanted garbage I get is not from a charity it flamin' Virgin.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top