Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 12:03 AM

Making Your Own Clothes

Unfortunately I don't have a sewing machine, the time or the room to make my own clothes.

Is there anyone who does, or has & perhaps has a photo of what they've made?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 07:00 AM

Re: Making Your Own Clothes

Hi AC, I have been known to make myself a hat........out of a knotted handkerchief !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 07:04 AM

I do and have and will be doing again, I make from scratch and buy second hand to alter, for ages the only thing I bought and didn't make or alter were bras. Making a hat at the moment for the summer. I like to think I will never follow a trend or a fashion

I started back when the only plus size clothing in the shops was tents and I was a teenager wanting to wear something nice. First attempt at clothing was when bay city rollers were in the charts wanted a pair of the tartan trimmed trousers and couldn't get them in my size so I borrowed the school sewing machine and set to.

I knit too so jumpers/cardigans etc all my own work.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 07:53 AM

I also design and make a lot of my own clothes - apart from it being cheaper and better quality - I like to be different!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 08:51 AM

I 'wish' I had taken the time to do this.
I would love to make my own clothes - so hard to find what you want ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Never too late to learn patsy, our local school runs courses in many things making your own clothes is a popular one. Or you can do it on line with craftsy http://www.craftsy.com/lp/Sewing_Fre...itialPage=true
Some people on etsy teach too.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Never too late to learn patsy, our local school runs courses in many things making your own clothes is a popular one. Or you can do it on line with craftsy http://www.craftsy.com/lp/Sewing_Fre...itialPage=true
Some people on etsy teach too.
It is too late gal - just couldn't do it now - ribs, back, neck and hands wouldn't let me. All that bending and leaning forward - just not right for me.
Have to be content with watching the 'Sewing Bee' fab series
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 11:39 AM

Never had the talent for making clothes. Never really wanted to either.
I did at one time knit some lovely bootees. I then thought I could be
a great knitter and started a jumper for my son who was about 18months
at the time. I managed to finish it when he was nearly 5 and it fit him
then so goodness knows what I was doing with it.
My Auntie Flo was a great knitter and could make a cardigan in a day.
My cousin and the daughter of Flo, could make fabulous dresses She even
did her own wedding dress and my sister and I were her bridesmaid dresses.
So talent in our family but just not on my side
I was a great telephonist instead.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

04-05-2014, 11:40 AM

Ah yes I know that feeling, I have problems embroidering often so this piece I am doing now will be the last I think, sad really I started embroidering when I was 5 so it's been a constant with me all these years. Happily I seem to have inspired my niece and she does some wonderful pieces.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2014, 11:48 AM

It's something I used to do years ago but doesn't seem worth it now.

I wear a lot of tops, blouses and trousers now and I can buy some lovely stuff in Marks, at a reasonable price and good quality.
I don't wear dresses, they seem so old fashioned.

I always hated home knitted stuff...felt like a poor relation, when my mates at school wore shop bought cardies, and it has stuck with me.

I would say that I haven't bought shop made curtains though, still prefer to make my own .. nets as well as drapes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top