Join for free
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 03:48 PM

'HMRC' Scam

WARNING I have just opened my 'junk' file to find three separate e-mails purporting to be from HMRC, and claiming that I am owed 'x' amount tax rebate, with a redirect to fill in the form to claim.

THIS IS A SCAM, PEOPLE!

Just to be sure (well we all like free money yeah?) I telephoned local 24 hour tax office number, and one of the first things the automated voice said was that they never send notifications via e-mail, and to delete immediately.

So if you have had similar notification, ignore and delete.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 09:10 PM

Re: 'HMRC' Scam

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
WARNING I have just opened my 'junk' file to find three separate e-mails purporting to be from HMRC, and claiming that I am owed 'x' amount tax rebate, with a redirect to fill in the form to claim.

THIS IS A SCAM, PEOPLE!

Just to be sure (well we all like free money yeah?) I telephoned local 24 hour tax office number, and one of the first things the automated voice said was that they never send notifications via e-mail, and to delete immediately.

So if you have had similar notification, ignore and delete.
Anything that Yahoo puts in my 'SPAM' folder I delete without opening it, I don't care where or who it comes from. Recently I received an e-mail from my local council which went into the 'SPAM' folder, of course I deleted it, but I did e-mail them and said send again and they did and it's all sorted, so any genuine people will happily send again if that happens.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2014, 09:16 PM

That is the problem when genuine mail ends up in the spam folder. I normally skim down the list (I get loads every day), make sure it is all junk, and delete all. That's a good tip though if you are expecting to hear from an organisation like that and to double check.

That reminds me, I need to check my Cloud storage, because of the suspish email I got earlier in the week but didn't have my login details to check it out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2014, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
That is the problem when genuine mail ends up in the spam folder. I normally skim down the list (I get loads every day), make sure it is all junk, and delete all. That's a good tip though if you are expecting to hear from an organisation like that and to double check.
...and/or put their email address in your address book.

With web mail most have a safe mail or white list where you can put an address without cluttering up your address book. Usually you don't need to put the whole address just the domain part eg '@ato.gov.au' will stop any mail from that government department ending up in your junk folder.

One thing you can be sure of is that anyone offering you free, unexpected money via email is a scam.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top