Join for free
Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 11 > Last »
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2015, 11:40 PM

Staying put.

Well, I've made my decision at last.
I have been going round in circles trying to decide whether to move, or do some work on my bungalow and stay put.
I have had a look at some other properties, but haven't found anything I want enough to buy, so have reached the conclusion to stay here.
However, this does mean some very disruptive repairs will need to be done, and I'm dreading that part. I'm worried about having builders in my kitchen all day, worried about them letting my dogs get out, and I'm not looking forward to the inevitable noise and dirt. for weeks on end.
I have an architect coming next week to start drawing the plans - so here goes... just hope I don't regret it later.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 12:40 AM

Re: Staying put.

Oh dear now you have gone and done it nasty builder types all over Mups mansion, they will steal all the gold an jewels and drink all the tea.

Anyhoo, plenty dust sheets, clingfilm to wrap the workmen in so they dont soil the carpets, big pointy stick to keep them in place,and dont let them out into the garden as the begonias will never survive.

Mind them architects can be a tad dodgy as well, dont feed him biccys you might never get rid of him. Anderson shelter at the bottom of the vegetable patch to survive the coming assault, tin hat and pitchfork at the ready. Good luck and keep us informed.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 05:32 AM

When we first moved into this house we had some structural alterations done and we timed it to be done while we were away on holiday. We didn't miss all the hassle but we missed the most of it.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 07:36 AM

You might be lucky. We had our bathroom completely pulled out and tiled and refitted and the young tradesman was great.....put cover sheets down, took care with the dog and cleared up all his mess. We're very happy.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 08:00 AM

Good luck Mups I can honestly say the most important decision when choosing a builder is get one who likes dogs, we had 2 working on our bathroom and the days the dog loving man was here was peaceful and he helped me get them out when they needed to go (had to move all his gear so they could get passed) the days the man who hated dogs was here were a nightmare of epic proportions.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 09:05 AM

All the very best Mups . It'll be worth it and look lovely! An ideal situation would be if you could stay somewhere else whilst the work was getting done, but I realise it's not that easy. Hope it goes as smoothly as possible x
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 09:13 AM

Contain yourself and pets to the rooms not affected and make sure that the mess and mayhem elsewhere does not reach those rooms. At the same time let them know you have noticed the snags before they forget them! I know it will be difficult but I still think a lot less problemsome than moving where you still might require work to be done!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Oh dear now you have gone and done it nasty builder types all over Mups mansion, they will steal all the gold an jewels and drink all the tea.

Anyhoo, plenty dust sheets, clingfilm to wrap the workmen in so they dont soil the carpets, big pointy stick to keep them in place,and dont let them out into the garden as the begonias will never survive.

Mind them architects can be a tad dodgy as well, dont feed him biccys you might never get rid of him. Anderson shelter at the bottom of the vegetable patch to survive the coming assault, tin hat and pitchfork at the ready. Good luck and keep us informed.

It's all very well you taking the mick young Nom, but a woman can get treated very differently to a man who knows what they're talking about. I'm not looking forward to it, and yes, you can be assured I shall keep you informed, you'll probably wish you'd got some earplugs soon
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 09:14 AM

Good luck Mups I am absolutely paranoid about having people trespassing on my territory to carry out any work so know how you feel.

Maybe pack a picnic when you can and take the dogs out .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 09:18 AM

My dear friend here so regrets leaving her bungalow and moving here, she has gone downhill as you know Mups, so I would say you have made the right choice.
I feel for you though with the work that needs doing. Do you know the reputation of the builder ? If so, that's a very good start and should make the process easier.

Page 1 of 50 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top