Join for free
Page 3 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 10:42 AM

Re: Staying put.

One other point some builders and their clients will not tell you where they have worked because of privacy issues ..I mean would you want perfect strangers turning up to peer in at your new kitchen?

Do ask ( and get proof) if they have public liabilty insurence which will insure you against any damage they cause and you can now check to see if the builder has any county court judgements against him..
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 10:46 AM

Patsy

They are totally correct, it is not their job to find a tradesman or firm for you.

Their job is to make sure the job is done to an approved standard for your protection. However they should be willing to advise on what will be allowed and what won't and if planning permission/consent is necessary.

When I built my extn to the house I owned I had nothing but fantastic help from the local planning officer who even came not on an inspection but to give helpful advise.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 10:58 AM

Best of luck Mups.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 11:53 AM

I do think word of mouth recommendations are best. I've paid the price otherwise. Tradesmen who don't turn up when planned can't be trusted either. It's difficult, but hope you get good tradesmen who will do the job expertly. It'll all be worth it
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Patsy

They are totally correct, it is not their job to find a tradesman or firm for you.

Their job is to make sure the job is done to an approved standard for your protection. However they should be willing to advise on what will be allowed and what won't and if planning permission/consent is necessary.

When I built my extn to the house I owned I had nothing but fantastic help from the local planning officer who even came not on an inspection but to give helpful advise.
Here at least - you can ring the council for a list of approved builders - this has nothing to do with 'planning permission'
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 06:20 PM

Good luck, Mups, and funnily enough I've decided on exactly the same thing! Even down to doing improvements. All rooms except the lounge need an overhaul. Kitchen might be left for now but certainly the bathroom and bedroom, and new flooring is needed in bedroom, bathroom and hallway. Shall copy Iranian neighbour with the tiling on floors of bathroom/hall.

Just need to stop all hospital appointments and get back on track. 75% decided against further surgery, but may crack under pressure on 30 April.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2015, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Unfortunately, you have left it a little late Mups, builders are at their busiest Spring onwards, so would have been better for you if you had enquired earlier.
As for the builder that didn't turn up, that's a big 'no' for me, wouldn't want him for the work.
Have you thought of contacting the local council for their list of builders ......

You're probably right Patsy. Trouble is, I hadn't decided to stay put until last week. Maybe I should wait to build until next year because I don't fancy my wall demolished nearer winter.

Thanks everyone for offering advice.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 01:01 PM

Are you OK to hold on then Mups, if you get your quotes January and book for April onwards ........
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2015, 03:32 PM

I'll have a chat to the architect on Thursday whens she comes. Thanks Patsy.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

04-04-2015, 03:32 PM

Ok gal - wish you very well with the plans x

Page 3 of 50 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top