Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2010, 03:41 PM

CH boiler

That's the boiler had it's annual service done, . . those Baxi boilers are the best by a long way, . . they last forever, . . my son had one the same as ours but he ripped it out last year and fitted a combi type, . . he'll regret it in a few years time when the heat exchanger corrodes.

val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2010, 06:18 PM

Re: CH boiler

We're going to have a new boiler fitted in a couple of weeks, that's a baxi so you've reassured me we're doing the right thing. We are having a log burner put in as well, even with the heating on I was freezing this winter, I know it was colder than normal but I can't move around as I used to and sitting about makes it very chilly, even under layers of clothes.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2010, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by val ->
We're going to have a new boiler fitted in a couple of weeks, that's a baxi

Get your self a Vaillant.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Get your self a Vaillant.
We have a Vaillant, no problems at all with it
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 07:51 AM

Apparently baxi's are easier to maintain and they seem to be the most popular one the plumbers like in this area. We did think of a Vaillant but apparently the parts are foreign and not so easy or cheap to get hold of.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by val ->
Apparently baxi's are easier to maintain and they seem to be the most popular one the plumbers like in this area. We did think of a Vaillant but apparently the parts are foreign and not so easy or cheap to get hold of.

Being a retired Heating instaler I would say the most installed boiler is a Vaillant,parts are the easist to get and the easist to fit,less trouble than some other boilers.

One little side note is that Baxi,potterton,sauna duval and glowworm are all owned by Vaillant.
val
Kent UK

25-03-2010, 08:28 AM

I only know what the plumbers here are saying, we've phoned round a few of them but personally as long as it works it can be a lego one . I won't have to fix it, thats their job and hopefully it won't go wrong.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Being a retired Heating instaler I would say the most installed boiler is a Vaillant,parts are the easist to get and the easist to fit,less trouble than some other boilers.

One little side note is that Baxi,potterton,sauna duval and glowworm are all owned by Vaillant.
Baxi's were made in Preston Galty, . . the one I have anyways, . . the heat exchanger is cast iron so it never rusts like the pressed steel ones, . . the only moving part is the circulation pump which is separate of course, . then there's the electric solenoid which is easily and cheaply replaced should the need arise, . . my boiler is 30 years old and the only parts that have been replaced is the pump £40 and the Honeywell solenoid £25.

I'm surprised that Baxi have been taken over by a foreign company.

PS : my friend had a Vokara, . . the engineers were never away from his house, they were made in Czech land I think.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex

25-03-2010, 03:00 PM

Vokara`s are a terrible boilers.

The trouble with the old cast iron blocks they are only about 70% efficient that means that for every £ you spend on Gas/Oil 30p worth goes straight out of the flue.The modern condensing boilers are above 91% efficient.

The old cast iron heat exchangers on a system that users an expansion tank in the loft, over time will silt up reducing the efficiency even further.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2010, 09:30 PM

We had a Glow-worm and it was 25 years old when it died the solenoid went and we were told it would be £250 to replace) so we thought we would say a few words over it and get it replaced as you know on my thread about central heating insurance that the company who serviced it every year gave up on it too.. We didn't have many problems with it over the years just a new control box thats all so it was very reliable and economical... Our new one is a Glow-worm too though now a condenser one as this seems to be the norm the only problem being is that it fitted in cupboard in the Kitchen and the new one doesn't so we have now to have a new Kitchen to fit the new one in a cupboard as it looks a bit like pipe city at the moment, but hey ho not such a bad thing as a new kitchen will be nice....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top