Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:22 AM

Re: Water Meter...

I've not saved money since being forced onto a meter when I moved. To be honest, I would prefer the old method of a twice yearly rates bill. I've had several water butts installed to help with the garden, but then of course, plants prefer rain water.
Lochsong
The Scrubs !!!
Lochsong is female  Lochsong has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I had a water meter fitted last October. Now compulsory in this area. After three months of use they assessed our usage and my bill was reduced by 50% as was the bill for the waste water. Mind you there are only two of us so I find myself being far more aware of what we use now. I only flush the toilet on a Sunday. Sometimes it's not even necessary!
Really??? Only on a Sunday??? I'll have to give that a try, but things could get a bit smelly I would have thought!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:40 AM

I've thought loads of times about should, shouldn't I get a meter. I know people who have reduced their bill. But equally I have read stuff that has put me off.

After reading other's reports - or is that others' reports () - saying their bill has escalated, I'll stick with what I know.

We seem to get so many leaks in the roads around this area, so the water board has to turn water off for repair. So, by the time you run the taps to clear the water once it's back on, all it is is money down the drain.
Low pressure is sometimes lousy too, which doesn't help if you want a shower.

Never lived in an area like it for water probs.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
I've thought loads of times about should, shouldn't I get a meter. I know people who have reduced their bill. But equally I have read stuff that has put me off.

After reading other's reports - or is that others' reports () - saying their bill has escalated, I'll stick with what I know.

We seem to get so many leaks in the roads around this area, so the water board has to turn water off for repair. So, by the time you run the taps to clear the water once it's back on, all it is is money down the drain.
Low pressure is sometimes lousy too, which doesn't help if you want a shower.

Never lived in an area like it for water probs.
I thought my bills would be halved, like Mum's but no way.

I shower rather than bathe, only use a hose to top up the pond occasionally, don't have a dishwasher and normally only use the washing machine when it's full.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Lochsong ->
Really??? Only on a Sunday??? I'll have to give that a try, but things could get a bit smelly I would have thought!
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
I thought my bills would be halved, like Mum's but no way.

I shower rather than bathe, only use a hose to top up the pond occasionally, don't have a dishwasher and normally only use the washing machine when it's full.
Is there no way you can ask them to remove it Rachel, or once you have it installed, that's it?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 10:14 AM

Is there no way you can ask them to remove it Rachel, or once you have it installed, that's it?
No, I believe that once it's in, it's in! However, there is a cooling off period in which you can elect to go back to the old system of rates-based charges. Of course, the meter is still there for whoever buys your house.

I'm avoiding it for as long as I can in the hope that someone will decide that they are no longer obligatory.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
No, I believe that once it's in, it's in! However, there is a cooling off period in which you can elect to go back to the old system of rates-based charges. Of course, the meter is still there for whoever buys your house.

I'm avoiding it for as long as I can in the hope that someone will decide that they are no longer obligatory.
Yep that's correct. The cooling off period is less than 6 months but you don't know how much you're going to be charged for 6 months !

No they will not remove it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 11:45 AM

Staying away from them as long as we can, it's 4 of us here and not uncommon for Nate to bring home a friend to use the washing machine or shower (friend has a meter and his mum won't let him use the shower or washing machine unless he pays for it).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2016, 01:36 PM

RACHEL, I believe it is a 12 month cooling off period, not 6 months. Have a look at this:

According to the water regulator Ofwat, people switching to a water meter effectively have a 12-month cooling-off period. If you find your bills go up alarmingly you are allowed to go back to paying according to rateable value. However, you are technically responsible for the metered usage up until you notify the water company of this intention. The meter remains on the property, and this option is not open to all – residents in water-scarce areas don't have that right.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top