Join for free
Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:37 PM

Re: Probate

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Maybe I misread something further up about houses now being exempt if they are worth under £1 million ?
Yes George Osbourne made some complicated ruling that the family home up to the value of £1million can be passed on free of IHT to immediate family but its not as straightforward as it sounds .
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 11:49 PM

Now that figures but thanks for the input everyone, some good advice, lots of links to look at and further research to be done...on the other hand I could just have a ball and spend the lot
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 12:02 AM

Now that figures but thanks for the input everyone, some good advice, lots of links to look at and further research to be done...on the other hand I could just have a ball and spend the lot

Want any help?
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 03:24 PM

So I have to live till 2020/2021... I think I might just manage that
Pretty confident of the wifes intentions then
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2017, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by caricature ->
Pretty confident of the wifes intentions then
Pretty sure, I have her locked and chained in the cellar
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2017, 01:09 AM

Maybe I misread something further up about houses now being exempt if they are worth under £1 million ?
The £1m is what it will finally be. It's going up in stages each year until 20/21. You currently have £650k. I think it's an extra £200k from April 17, then 50k increase each year (up to the 350k in 2021). The extra is only applicable to offset against the main residence (im not quite sure how the maths for that bit works in practice).

In terms of probate make sure you have all the original share certificates and recent valuations filed away so your daughter doesn't have to request them from the issuer. Share data can be quite a pain to gather, particularly obtaining recent valuations.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 05:48 PM

I just saw this thread as I was about to post my own. Some good answers here and they go a fair way to answering my own questions but this is my own story...

My mother passed away a week ago and since my dad died of dementia complications six years ago, my sister took on Power of Attourney to look after my mum's accounts, money from the sale of the house etc as she herself succumbed to dementia also and was placed into a care home.

So the "P of A", which is controlled by the Court of Protection, then gave my sister a cheque book to cover any expenses plus my mum's pension and we were asked for twice-annual updates of spending etc.

Like susanm above, I was under the impression that when my mum died, the money left in the account could be split equally for my sister and myself taking into account other bits and bobs detailed in the will. But my sister now says that the bank has frozen the account and it needs to go to probate.

Why is this, how long will it all take to get sorted? Does the tx man take anything (the account is worth approx. 90k.)

I'm asking for advice mainly so I know what I'm going to be talking about when I have a meeting with the bank later this week.

Many thanks
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 05:52 PM

Sorry to hear that Floydy.....best wishes mate.

Rehab....have you thought of gifting your house to your daughter?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 08:20 PM

Sorry for your Loss Floyd

We left it to our solicitor to do Probate , i think it took something like 4 weeks , I dont think the tax man will take anything , you are allowed so much inheritence , ours was a property to the value of £130K we had nothing to pay on that .
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2017, 08:44 PM

Sorry to hear about you dear Mother, Floydy.
x

Page 6 of 8 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top