Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 04:13 PM

workmate

No not "er indoors" but one of those folding work benches.

Had one ages ago but the plywood used split and was getting a bit old so scrapped it. now use blockboard

Alway missed having one so when my son the other day called for help I though now is a good time to get another.
So an internet seach for one with a step( helps to keep still when on it) was on.

I was surprised at the number of retail outlets didn't stock it or just out of stock. Our local Wickes had a couple so on monday Sue and I went and bought one that also folded the clamp at right angles.

Now me being me started to assemble it and half way through noticed a vital part was missing to put bolts into.
So took it back to the shop and showed on the diagram the missing part.

The store guy opened up the other one on the shelf and sure enough that part was missing in that one as well..

he took back my part assempled one no problem and offered a refund or change for the slightly cheaper version with a refund difference which we accepted.

Not many shops would have done that, so score one point for Wickes.
Got back home and assembled to replacement, and now on car ready to go to sons to do the work
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 05:57 PM

Re: workmate

If it's one of the old original Workmates, it's worth hanging onto because all the modern ones seem to be made out of plastic which is a lot lighter but not as sturdy.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 06:11 PM

the old one was chucked many years ago. The one I got from Wickes is metal frame and wood block boards

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Black+Decker...kmate/p/142277
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2017, 08:52 PM

I bought a Workmate 1000 and it is absolute rubbish. I'd had an original Workmate which was brilliant but after years of abuse it gave up. I've just ordered this one from Bosch. (sorry it's in German)https://www.amazon.de/dp/B007R9WICU?....qEn82xe-JEBoA
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

15-08-2017, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Kev60 ->
I bought a Workmate 1000 and it is absolute rubbish. I'd had an original Workmate which was brilliant but after years of abuse it gave up. I've just ordered this one from Bosch. (sorry it's in German)https://www.amazon.de/dp/B007R9WICU?....qEn82xe-JEBoA
That one is more costly and has no step to stand on.

i have it in translated into Eenglish

Bosch DIY PWB 600 work table, 4 clamping jaws, cardboard (maximum load capacity 200 kg, working height 834 mm, maximum clamping width with clamp 525 mm)
From Bosch
4.1 out of 5 stars 142 Customer reviews | 21 answers
Bestseller No. 1 in workbenches
Price: EUR 119,00 Free shipping. details
All prices incl
In stock.
Delivery Thursday, 17. Aug .: Order it within15 hours and 17 minutes by 1-day-delivery at the checkout. See details.
Dispatched and sold by Amazon in recyclable packaging . Gift wrapping available.
14 new from EUR 119,00
Work table PWB 600 - secure fixing for different workpieces
Only a few seconds to assemble and dismantle thanks to the folding mechanism
Easy fixation of the workpieces with the supplied clamps
Practical and robust: The working surface made of bamboo is water-repellent and durable
Maximum clamping depth is 34 millimeters, maximum clamping width at 85mm
Both round and bulky tools can be securely clamped centrally
Scope of delivery: Bosch DIY PWB 600 work table, 4 clamping jaws, cardboard
> More product details
Shipping in original packaging : The packaging of the item reveals what is in it. If this article is a surprise, choose This is a gift on the way to checkout.
Kev60
Germany. Black Forest.
Kev60 is male  Kev60 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 02:14 PM

The only one I could get here with a step I could grab on both sides of the clamping table and I could twist the frame. It is nowhere near as strong and stable as the old ones.
Bruv
Kent UK
Bruv is male  Bruv has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 02:30 PM

I am still using a workmate that must be over 30 years old.

It struggles to open properly, I think a spring has lost it's power, or the clip is rusty. It has earned it's keep over the years, used as a hop up with it's lower legs folded under, when decorating. I lost the rubber feet long ago.

It has outlasted the one that bought it for me by many years, my first wife.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2017, 04:43 PM

Still got one given to me by my dad in the early 80s the top is a bit battered and split but it works...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top