Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Re: Steam Irons

I assume swim is talking about an iron that has a separate tank that you fill with water and that generates its own steam, not an ordinary iron that has a small reservoir and a button on it that gives steam out when pressed,
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 12:49 PM

Those huge great things on their own stand ?
Take up to much room.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 12:51 PM

I've got an old Breville I chose because it was light to handle too, Muddy.
Nothing special, but it does the job.
I've also got a new Philips one for when this one conks out.
Both of them were less than £30 quid I think.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I assume swim is talking about an iron that has a separate tank that you fill with water and that generates its own steam, not an ordinary iron that has a small reservoir and a button on it that gives steam out when pressed,
Hi

Yep, that's the one.

No fiddling around and sorting piles of clothes out either, it adjusts itself.

I only ever use the thing when Sabrina is not around.

She loves the thing and sails through the ironing.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 01:49 PM

Have you checked the electric supply cord? Sometimes the cable grip where the flex exits the plug-top or enters the appliance are screwed down so tight it compresses the conductors and eventually they come apart at the clamp position.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Yep, that's the one.

No fiddling around and sorting piles of clothes out either, it adjusts itself.

I only ever use the thing when Sabrina is not around.

She loves the thing and sails through the ironing.
Well she would if you give her equipment that virtually does the job itself and then pay her!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 05:43 PM

Have you thought about having it repaired? I'd make enquiries if it were mine.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 08:58 PM

£200 for an iron? Flabbergasted. Gawd, you must be made of money Swimmy

BTW lad, none of us, even the feminine variety, knew how to iron..... you just learn. Tis dead easy, honest - and very relaxing too (not that I have to iron anything any more with all these wonderful fabrics these days. Nothing ever seems to get creased).

Just don't use a high setting when ironing your silk jock strap
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2017, 09:18 PM

I didn't know about irons that can sense the type of fabric they are ironing. How does that work? How can they tell the type of fabric? Another potential problem: if you have just been ironing something at high temperature and move on to something that needs a cool iron, how does the iron cool down instantly? In my experience, irons take several minutes to cool down.

Personally, I'd like to have one of those irons which don't have a cable; they sit on a base that has the necessary cable and the iron connects to 'recharge' when placed back on the base. (Cables and I don't get on - They get in the way and I tend to trip over them). I know that very few manufacturers make them - Tefal, I think, is one. Unfortunately, my boss won't let me have one.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 08:33 AM

We have a vaporetta steam machine, inherited after my dad died he had attachments to take wallpaper off walls and clean tiling etc so we just purchased the iron attachment for about £50 that's been working well for over 20 years. They must still make similar machines I'd guess we'll worth the investment if you iron as much as I do.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top