Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 12:21 PM

Non stick pans that don't peel

I bought a frying pan from Asda which was supposed to be non stick but only had it a few weeks before the non stick coating is peeling off. I don't use metal in it only wood and realise I've bought a cheapo pan now.
What pans are best for non stick problems. I don't have a proper cooker by the way as no room in kitchen and use one of those 2 ring electric counter tops things which isn't that brilliant with heat control.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 12:26 PM

Re: Non stick pans that don't peel

Hi

If you are doing a lot of cooking, which I do, it is my hobby, ceramic is best but pricey.

If not, stainless, wipe down when still warm and if you burn anything, just soak in some Bicarb and scrub them.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 12:37 PM

For daily use, I have a set of (moderately priced) Tefal non-stick pans. I've been using them for a couple of years now and they're all still in excellent condition.

Have a browse at Amazon .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 12:43 PM

The ones with red dot in the bottom, got mine from alders one pan at a time about twelve years ago still going strong. But I also still use my stainless steel ones that are about 20 years old again collected them one pan at a time as I could afford them.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Its a false economy MC to buy "cheapo" pans.....Ive been there done that too
Theres only one non stick id rely on and thats Tefal or Ceramic,you might spend a bit more but they really do last
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
Its a false economy MC to buy "cheapo" pans.....Ive been there done that too
Theres only one non stick id rely on and thats Tefal or Ceramic,you might spend a bit more but they really do last

I agree with Aysa. You really need a better quality one to last.
It may also not help because of the hot plates overheating.
I believe with non-stick, you aren't supposed to go over a certain temperature to preserve the coating.

I don't understand MC, is you say there is no room for a cooker in the kitchen, but what builders could build a kitchen that didn't allow room for a cooker?

Here is part of an article about over heating pans, as I suspect this could well be the problem:

"There's a whole chemistry set of compounds that will come off when Teflon is heated high enough to decompose," says Wolke. "Many of these are fluorine-containing compounds, which as a class are generally toxic." But fluoropolymers, the chemicals from which these toxic compounds come, are a big part of the coating formula — and the very reason that foods don't stick to nonstick.

If the danger begins when pans overheat, then how hot is too hot? "At temperatures above 500ºF, the breakdown begins and smaller chemical fragments are released.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 01:17 PM

Hi Mups
My kitchen is very small, it does have a space for a cooker but I had a tall fridge freezer which had to go there as there was no space for it anywhere else in the kitchen. With living alone I use the freezer a lot as I can by things cheaper in normal packs and break them down and freeze to me size portions. I used my fridge freezer a lot.
That was the only space against the wall in the kitchen, as it is with either a cooker and fridge in that position I cannot open one side of a fitted kitchen double cupboard as not enough space between fridge and cupboard.
Your post made me think about this more.
There is a space I could use if I took down a work surface that has space underneath for a normal size fridge.
Then I could get a cooker in. Maybe that's an option I should look at and buy a narrow width cooker. It would mean loosing a counter top though and a place where I have my kitchen bin.

See that's what a woman does, makes a man think a bit more about having a proper kitchen rather than cooking on virtually a camping cooker. 😀
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 01:20 PM

Well there's a project for you to get started on perhaps.

As I said though, I do suspect you were over heating the previous pan and that will ruin the coating.

Good luck.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 01:37 PM

I always buy ceramic pans from tkmaxx. They are often under a tenner.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 01:39 PM

I use a SKK coated cast iron pan for frying and sauteing expensive but I use it a lot batch cooking for the whole family.

I first started used them years ago after they were recommended by Delia Smith. They don't peel but tend to lose some of their none stick ability after 3 years but I recon I have had my moneys worth by then...

They are very heavy so could double as a defensive weapon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top