Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 10:58 AM

Re: The definitive Windows 10 Fall Creators Update review

Originally Posted by JBR ->
But what about those Windows 10 users who do allow regular Windows Updates and who, through no direct fault of their own, contract one of those ransomware infestations?

Shouldn't Microsoft be obliged to pay for their losses and other consequences?
You have much to learn Grasshopper !

Think big. Just like the Big Pharma industry. Does that industry thrive and prosper if people are healthy? Nope. How can they increase demand for their products and services massively?

Translate to the IT industry.

If Microsoft were to issue a 100% tight bulletproof O/S, what would happen to the multi $million antivirus industry ?
Does the antivirus/malware industry thrive and prosper if the operating systems are NOT full of holes and exploitable weaknesses ? How can that industry increase demand for its products and services?

People are saps.

imo
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 11:08 AM

Let me add to that by recollecting how Microsoft went about releasing Windows at the time when Broadband was just energing.

Most of us had been using the old 54k dial up modems to get on the internet. We were used to those slow speeds.
The idea that we would subscribe to some kind of service for £20 to £30 a month for internet was just an outlandish notion to most. It was bad enough for some, paying for Sky every month !

So how was that prospective $billion industry going to get ordinary people to move over to braodband packages in a short swift timescale?

Well what actually happened?

Microsoft launched their latest Windows O/S. I guess it was XP back then, not sure.

The world quickly moved onto Windows XP

Then, shock horror, it turned out to be riddled with holes, bugs, exploitations and there were horror stories about viruses and worms and trojans the like of which we hadn't seen.

So Microsoft constructed their "Service Pack" which had loads of fixes.

Unfortunately it was so huge in size, that it just wasn't possible for people to download it over their internet using those dial up modems. It would have taken literally days to down load files of such gargantuan size.

The only options were to buy a PC with the Service Pack already installed, or to somehow get hold of a CD copy of that Service Pack or else . . . . .

Go to Broadband and then download it themselves.

Of course the take up for Broadband was then quite swift as people flocked to pay their monthly subscriptions. Then suddenly everything was quicker, pictures loaded instantly instead of line by line and the world changed.

You may review that history of events and see nothing but coincidence.

For myself, it seems to me that the release of a Windows O/S that was so riddled with bugs, hackable holes and exploitations and the subsequent release of a Service Pack "fix" that could only be downloded using Broadband, served to act as the blue touch paper that would ignite the Broadband industry.

Just a coinicidence of course !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

01-12-2017, 11:17 AM

And on that original issue of Windows Updates . . .

I honestly believe you will come a cropper one way or another.

I guess that MS will start making charges for updates. Maybe they will be free for a certain time, and then become chargeable. That will likely spur people to take the updates up in timely fashion. Same routine they have used for the W10 upgrade itself.

One way or another you will imo be "cajoled" into taking the updates.

W10 is imo a very different O/S to its predecessors.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 11:49 AM

But what about those Windows 10 users who do allow regular Windows Updates and who, through no direct fault of their own, contract one of those ransomware infestations?

Shouldn't Microsoft be obliged to pay for their losses and other consequences?
I think that the key point, about a virus, is that the user gets the responsibility to prevent that virus getting onto his PC.

Most viruses are simply programs which the unwary user downloads and installs on the PC.

Hence the words like "Trojan", etc.

(They are, mostly, written to interface with MS products but some advances are being seen on the others).

In spite of what others may say, MS do have antivirus software - included in their platforms.
Currently the W10 one is "Defender". Comparisons show that some users look for bigger & better malware finders.
Maybe the Windows AV will eventually become the one of choice.

It's all a "Caveat Emptor" situation. Beware what you download.

Note: "Security Updates" are, to my understanding, simply fixes to the MS code when that code has been found to be vulnerable to some kinds of attack.They are not antivirus software in their own right.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
You have much to learn Grasshopper !

Think big. Just like the Big Pharma industry. Does that industry thrive and prosper if people are healthy? Nope. How can they increase demand for their products and services massively?

Translate to the IT industry.

If Microsoft were to issue a 100% tight bulletproof O/S, what would happen to the multi $million antivirus industry ?
Does the antivirus/malware industry thrive and prosper if the operating systems are NOT full of holes and exploitable weaknesses ? How can that industry increase demand for its products and services?

People are saps.

imo
Just because you're paranoid, don't think they're not out to get you!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I think that the key point, about a virus, is that the user gets the responsibility to prevent that virus getting onto his PC.
Of course it is.
Needless to say, I am very careful about clicking links.

Another strategy is for me to periodically backup by data to two external hard drives. In the interim periods, any new or amended files are instantly copied to both OneDrive and Dropbox until the next backup is done.

If I should become a victim of these criminals, I can re-install Windows and then my programmes and files.

Unfortunately, these 'pirates' seem to be becoming increasingly clever.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 12:59 PM

Unfortunately, these 'pirates' seem to be becoming increasingly clever.
True, JBR, it's gone from mischief to very big money in not many years.

Once, the pirates were fined (or even jailed)

Now they get hired to help solve the problems.

Thus they get remunerated for helping to solve the problem they helped to create!

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

15-12-2017, 12:32 PM

Well, I had disabled Windows Updates successfully for a few months but, as someone here suggested, they'll get you in the end.

He was perfectly correct, as last night I was offered the 'benefit' of this new 'Fall' update thing. I tried, but was unsuccessful in delaying it or ditching it and, of course, the thing took over my computer.

After 45 minutes it looked like it had 'done its work' and I tried to log on, only to find some other changes were being made over and additional 15 minutes. I then managed to go to bed at 12.30am.

This morning, as to be expected, I found that Microsoft had changed several of my settings, including the start pop-up screen which I had set as I wanted and which now was set to how MS wanted it. Also, Chrome's bookmark tab had changed for some reason. I have just spent all morning attempting to get things back to as near normal as I can.

MS claims that it makes these (compulsory) changes to improve our productivity experiences. How ridiculous: the exact opposite is the result and I have noticed absolutely no improvements at all.

I have to say that this latest experience has really turned me against Windows. In a few years, when the time comes to buy a new laptop, I shall certainly go for the Apple option. I have always maintained that Macs are over-priced for what they are, but I was wrong. I cannot abide being dictated to by Microsoft in this way and that will be it as far as I'm concerned. I only hope that MS lose many more customers as well.

My only concerns are that I may not be able to run some programmes, such as Photoshop Elements and TurboCAD. I may be wrong, but if that is the case, I'll use my existing Windows laptop for that, but disable internet connection to prevent any more interference by MS. I can, of course, use the Mac laptop for internet and mail.

Another option, of course, is Linux.

In any event, Microsoft have certainly lost at least one disappointed and angry customer.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top