Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 04:36 PM

Re: Oil

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
Its a 12 year old Fiat Punto Sporting 16v 1400cc. It runs really well and has only done 74000. Last 16 months I only added 1100 more miles. I bought it from my mechanics wife.
Apart from a problem with the paintwork and the electrical system check the car runs really well and sailed through its last MOT. The MOT tester said when doing the emissions test how good the engine is running, hence I don't want to use cheap oil but don't want to get ripped off either.
Hi,

Use the one I linked to. It's a good oil and you'll be fine with it.
I used to use it in my MX5 which I used to thrash to death!..
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Oil, like most things has gone high tech, it has to cope with today's modern engines, gone are the days when you had to change the oil from summer, thicker, to a winter, thinner, oil, now it has to be the correct grade to suit the correct type of engine, diesel or petrol , and as usual manufacturers have cottoned on and command a premium
True,

The multigrades are much better now and can last longer with the additives. I prefer synthetic oil, it doesn't start to break down as quickly as mineral oil.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

29-10-2017, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It is April this year model, trouble is the handbook does not mention the ST as a separate model, but it does state the 2.0ltr Duratec engine requires 5w-20.
If you find it's using oil. go to the 5w-30. It deffo won't do any harm and will seal the rings better.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 07:22 PM

When we all have to switch to electric vehicles, will there will be different grades of electric available?
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

29-10-2017, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When we all have to switch to electric vehicles, will there will be different grades of electric available?
Yep,

Expensive and more expensive........
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 08:24 PM

Fender, I went to the Motor Museum at Gaydon today, saw all the crap cars from the British Factories, of the 60s and 70s, they are still wonderful, in their own way, and, so many prototypes, a very good couple of hours out.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England

29-10-2017, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Fender, I went to the Motor Museum at Gaydon today, saw all the crap cars from the British Factories, of the 60s and 70s, they are still wonderful, in their own way, and, so many prototypes, a very good couple of hours out.
Nice one,

I love some of the older cars.
As a w/e hobby, I used to restore the Mk111 Spitfires - the best of the Spits imo....

I wouldn't mind another one tbh.
There is a place just up the road from me who have been restoring MG Midgets since I can remember.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-10-2017, 09:35 PM

I restored a mk1v, but next time l would try an earlier one.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2017, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Hi,

Use the one I linked to. It's a good oil and you'll be fine with it.
I used to use it in my MX5 which I used to thrash to death!..
Thanks I will have a look at it

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes, if your on Economy 7 meter you will find it cheaper to drive during the night 😀😀

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top