Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 01:23 PM

Tin Foil Hat On Your Router For Faster WiFi? Is This Daft?

I thought it was an April Fools joke when l read this yesterday!
I just read the headline and made a tin foil hat for my router and immediately my WiFi was much faster!

Then l read the article properly and the ‘hat’ they are on about is something specially made for this purpose!

What l’d like to know is, will the tin foil hat l have put on my router cause a fire? Is it dangerous in other ways?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...re_article-top
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 01:27 PM

Re: Tin Foil Hat On Your Router For Faster WiFi? Is This Daft?

My last router accidently fell behind the cushions on my sofa. I discovered it a few days later and a 3" hole had burned through the plastic. I always turn it off now at night,
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I thought it was an April Fools joke when l read this yesterday!
I just read the headline and made a tin foil hat for my router and immediately my WiFi was much faster!

Then l read the article properly and the ‘hat’ they are on about is something specially made for this purpose!

What l’d like to know is, will the tin foil hat l have put on my router cause a fire? Is it dangerous in other ways?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...re_article-top
The article says:

Previous research found that placing an aluminium soda can behind a Wifi access point can strengthen the signal in one direction.

In the new work, the team build upon this idea, and designed an algorithm to optimize a reflector’s shape to target more specific coverage areas.

The researchers 3D printed a structure of the desired shape, and covered it in a thin layer of reflective metal – such as aluminium.

For those who don’t have access to a 3D printer, they also note cardboard could do the trick.
Personally, I wouldn't put a tin foil hat on my router but I will try placing a cardboard/foil shield behind it .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 01:40 PM

My granddad used to make paper hats out the Guardian and put them on his head.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm glad somebody found a use for it Longdogs....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The article says
Previous research found that placing an aluminium soda can behind a Wifi access point can strengthen the signal in one direction.

In the new work, the team build upon this idea, and designed an algorithm to optimize a reflector’s shape to target more specific coverage areas.

The researchers 3D printed a structure of the desired shape, and covered it in a thin layer of reflective metal – such as aluminium.

For those who don’t have access to a 3D printer, they also note cardboard could do the trick.

Personally, I wouldn't put a tin foil hat on my router but I will try placing a cardboard/foil shield behind it .....
Thanks for that Omah, I've stopped following links to newspapers, it takes this netbook ages to open them and there aren't enough hours in the day...
Now where did Mrs Fox put that tinfoil.......
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 03:54 PM

That's all it's fit for, that, and toilet paper.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

09-11-2017, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm glad somebody found a use for it Longdogs....
It was a chaep way of entateening his grnsdson thta's for srue.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Seems a bit of a nonsense to me. Either your router is decent or it isn't, if it isn't go buy a decent one. There are plenty for sale in your local Maplins store.

Years ago I used to use the router that I was sent "free" with my broadband package. It wasn't powerful enough for me to receive a decent signal when I am sitting outside in the back garden in summer with my laptop. It later failed and at that point I went and bought my own. Problem solved and TBH everyone should have a spare/second router for those times when your broadband goes down and the provider lamely tries to send you round the "fob them off" cycle saying it's probably your router. You can just plug in the second router and tell them that this one doesn't work either, hence, the problem IS with them, it's their service that's NOT being provided.

I personally wouldn't put anything on or around a router. Like all electronic equipment it will need its breathing space.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2017, 05:04 PM

I always turn it off now at night,
This is a bad idea mate.

Routers are designed to be permanently switched on.

When you switch it off, the BT switchboxes/junctions and your broadband supplier think there is a problem on the line. Their systems constantly monitor this stuff.

When they detect a problem, they automatically throttle back your broadband speed (hoping that this will make a more reliable connection).

Every time this happens, it takes 72 hours (3 days !!!) of the router being permanently switched on again before it rebalances and restores your speed.

So you should be experiencing pretty crap broadband speeds if you've been switching the router off every day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top