Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 04:18 AM

Roman Empire

For those who enjoy learning about ancient history, I recommend the Netflix production of "Roman Empire".
Our story takes place during the 2nd century A.D. and focuses on Marcus Aurelius and his son Commodus.
Unlike the film Gladiator, this film/documentary is completely accurate, and takes its story line from surviving historical accounts.
Thrilling ! Strongly recommended ! 2 thumbs up.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 08:03 AM

Re: Roman Empire

Excellent film, Bakerman.

Marcus Aurelius was one of the best - perhaps, if the Romans had stuck to his teachings, they would still have an empire and we would all be speaking Latin !!

Brilliant cast as well - Alec Guinness, James Mason, Christopher Plummer, Stephen Boyd and the very beautiful Sophia Loren.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Excellent film, Bakerman.

Marcus Aurelius was one of the best - perhaps, if the Romans had stuck to his teachings, they would still have an empire and we would all be speaking Latin !!

Brilliant cast as well - Alec Guinness, James Mason, Christopher Plummer, Stephen Boyd and the very beautiful Sophia Loren.
Tabby, the film I'm referring to is not the one with Alec Guinness.
It is a new film, produced by Netflix, I think.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 04:30 PM

Old Marcus came out with some very profound statements in his time too, a philosopher as well as emperor.

This one of his. Very apropos these days

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Tabby, the film I'm referring to is not the one with Alec Guinness.
It is a new film, produced by Netflix, I think.
Sorry, Bakerman, I did not know there had been a remake. Will look out for that one if it ever makes it to DVD.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

25-11-2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Old Marcus came out with some very profound statements in his time too, a philosopher as well as emperor.

This one of his. Very apropos these days

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.”
Can't argue with that, Judd. I am a big fan of Marcus Aurelius.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the heads up BM, sounds my type of thing so will give it a try.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2017, 07:19 PM

"Marcus Aurelius and his son Commodus"!

Poor lad! Fancy calling your son Commodus!

Of course, it didn't have the same connotations then as it does now.
bakerman
Mexico

26-11-2017, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sorry, Bakerman, I did not know there had been a remake. Will look out for that one if it ever makes it to DVD.

It is currently available on Netflix.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2017, 07:08 AM

Is it a series? do you know how many episodes there are or will be?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top