Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 07:02 AM

Re: Time to harden up.

Thing is doesn't May need the Irish votes to keep her majority? If she upsets them and they withdraw support what happens then?

Maybe a united Ireland is the only practical solution, if that happened and Ireland stayed in the EU, how would that affect us?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Thing is doesn't May need the Irish votes to keep her majority? If she upsets them and they withdraw support what happens then?

Maybe a united Ireland is the only practical solution, if that happened and Ireland stayed in the EU, how would that affect us?
Hi

If that happened, financially we would be much better off.

Northern Ireland costs us a mint, as does Scotland.

It depends whether or not we want to see the breakup of the UK as it is now.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 10:04 AM

Finally!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iickNtK5Ivw
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 01:39 PM

Are we now saying that Northern Ireland should be compelled to unite with the Republic despite their express wish to remain in the UK? Even though that would mean them staying in Europe and effectively putting a border between them and their biggest export customer, the UK.

Isn't it time that we woke up to the fact that there is more potential trading with the rest of the world than worrying about whether we might lose some of our European trade? We won't, because we are just as important to them as they are to us, perhaps more so. If they don't see that in their determination to be awkward that is their loss.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Isn't it time that we woke up to the fact that there is more potential trading with the rest of the world than worrying about whether we might lose some of our European trade? We won't, because we are just as important to them as they are to us, perhaps more so. If they don't see that in their determination to be awkward that is their loss.
Yup this

Any divorce is messy and the ousted EU "bitch" is throwing tantrums galore and trying her level best to cause trouble. We will be so much better off once the bitch is gone. We were so close to being chained forever to the totalitarian EU State.

"And someone saved my life tonight sugar bear
You almost had your hooks in me didn't you dear
You nearly had me roped and tied
Altar-bound, hypnotized
Sweet freedom whispered in my ear
You're a butterfly
And butterflies are free to fly
Fly away, high away bye bye"

And I would have walked head on into the deep end of the river
Clinging to your stocks and bonds
Paying your H.P. demands forever
They're coming in the morning with a truck to take me home
Someone saved my life tonight, someone saved my life tonight
Someone saved my life tonight, someone saved my life tonight
Someone saved my life tonight
So save your strength and run the field you play alone
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 03:43 PM

Language Timothy!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 08:59 PM

Maybe, if you have no understanding of history and are ignorant of the express wishes of the majority of N I residents to remain a part of the UK, then yes......but United it would not be.

The Irish votes she needs to keep her majority most definitely do not support a united Ireland and as such this demonstrates you know little of Irish politics and so should probably keep your ill informed thoughts to yourself until you educate yourself.

A very practical solution would be for Ireland to realise that the UK is more important to it's wealth and well being than the EU and so should start backing the UK and telling the other EU 26 to get real with these negotiations.

If Ireland wants to be the EU's bitch it will get the slap down it deserves. It needs to work out where its best interests really lie.
Tartlet
UK
Tartlet is female  Tartlet has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Hardball means simply that.

Border Controls for any Non British Citizen.

That includes any Irish Citizen, Passport and Visa.

Any Irish vehicle entering the UK will be subject to full checks.

That means Tariffs and Non Tariff Quotas.

They will have to ship their agricultural produce direct to the EU, any passing through the UK will mean paying Tariffs.

That is going to hurt them far more than it hurts the UK.

I will not be threatened by the EU or the Irish.

They are playing hardball, we can do the same.

That means customs posts at every crossing between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

If that is what they want, so be it.
But the UK doesn’t want a hard border whereas the EU might welcome one.

Sounds like an own goal rather than playing hardball.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tartlet ->
But the UK doesn’t want a hard border whereas the EU might welcome one.

Sounds like an own goal rather than playing hardball.
Hi

It is the EU who are insisting that there is no hard border and it is the Irish PM who has threatened to veto any Trade Talks.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2017, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

It is the EU who are insisting that there is no hard border and it is the Irish PM who has threatened to veto any Trade Talks.
Put the border between the EU and Eire.......simples!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top