Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 11:08 PM

Re: Moon or No Moon?

Perfect! Love the reflection and I like the meteorite too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Perfect! Love the reflection and I like the meteorite too.

I totally agree with the above, Surfermom. Perfect.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 09:43 PM

Irrespective of if there is a moon in the picture or not it is what you like that counts. If others like it then it is a bonus.

The next question is should one criticise it or not? that is entirely up to whoever posted the photo/painting..
There is nothing more annoying than someone just saying they like it without giving a reason, that is no help at all.

If asking for criticism then expect some remarks you might not like. Every one sees the same picture differently, therefore pick the one that are helpful and ignore the others

I usually try and avoid making any comment on peoples work unless I think it is outstanding and worth a mention.. To me I like something I can relate to and this hits all the right buttons.

It is a picture I can understand and put myself right there, something not many can achieve.
So all in all it is a well executed work and one to be proud of
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Irrespective of if there is a moon in the picture or not it is what you like that counts. If others like it then it is a bonus.
Surfermom was asking a question of us and the response was to her liking I presume

The next question is should one criticise it or not? that is entirely up to whoever posted the photo/painting..
There is nothing more annoying than someone just saying they like it without giving a reason, that is no help at all.
So you are saying that you can't just reply saying ' I like it ' without giving an explanation? If someone likes something of mine, irrespective of the subject, I would be happy to hear it.

If asking for criticism then expect some remarks you might not like. Every one sees the same picture differently, therefore pick the one that are helpful and ignore the others
You had someone say in the other Moon thread about how they preferred the coloured version of the Moon, as opposed to your edit.You then threw your toys out of the pram and removed your photo because you didn't like the answer. Personally, I prefer mono Moon shots, however, yours looked out of focus and very grainy. That is my opinion, for what it's worth.

I usually try and avoid making any comment on peoples work unless I think it is outstanding and worth a mention.. To me I like something I can relate to and this hits all the right buttons.
Surely that isn't encouraging the poster to continue. Afterall, you stated that you liked criticism as it would help make you a better photographer.

It is a picture I can understand and put myself right there, something not many can achieve.
So all in all it is a well executed work and one to be proud of
Why can't many people achieve what you think that you can? Are you that good?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-12-2017, 11:50 PM

Have anything else to say against me
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Have anything else to say against me
Barry, you are taking this too personally. You stated that you like criticism before in another post, then - If asking for criticism then expect some remarks you might not like your words, not mine.
You received critical acclaim and you didn't like it.
Then you said '
The next question is should one criticise it or not? that is entirely up to whoever posted the photo/painting..'

So now you are choosing whom you reply to - either to like or dislike the subject matter? That is of course, your discretion to thank someone? or not to encourage them - harsh I know.
Personally, I have no axe to grind with you. Some of your photos on here and ( the other site ) have been good.
It would be good if you could reply to the other thread in a constructive manner.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 12:33 AM

I love it! It is a painting I could live with and notice something different in it every day. I really admire that depth of talent.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I'm working on this oil painting of a night sky. I'm debating about adding a moon. What do you think?

Absolutely not.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
Barry, you are taking this too personally. You stated that you like criticism before in another post, then - If asking for criticism then expect some remarks you might not like your words, not mine.
You received critical acclaim and you didn't like it.
Then you said '
The next question is should one criticise it or not? that is entirely up to whoever posted the photo/painting..'

So now you are choosing whom you reply to - either to like or dislike the subject matter? That is of course, your discretion to thank someone? or not to encourage them - harsh I know.
Personally, I have no axe to grind with you. Some of your photos on here and ( the other site ) have been good.
It would be good if you could reply to the other thread in a constructive manner.
I suppose some people welcome criticism and some don't. Personally, I am my own worst critic, so if someone pointed something out in my paintings they didn't like, I would already be aware of it.

I think we would all agree that there's nothing to criticise in surfermum's paintings, as you say, she was just asking for an outside opinion. Anyone who paints knows that one sweep of a brush can make or destroy a painting.
Fogey
Shropshire
Fogey is male  Fogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Thank you all for your suggestions. Good points! It's also lacking a true focal point so a moon it is.

Sorry, I think you're wrong. The fall of light behind the clouds, indicating the presence of a hidden moon, is the focal point.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top