Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 10:29 PM

Re: shouted down

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
You stand a very good chance of buying a pig �� in a poke though.
Is that a Morti/Jazzi hybrid?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 10:53 PM

Eh, what? How’s my name got involved in a pig in a poke?!

Joking aside, it’s nobody’s business but yours who you buy from and what you pay. Ignore them, if they’re being ignorant.
Chatterbox
North West, UK
Chatterbox is female 

06-12-2017, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Oh if you don't know what a "grey" import is then I will tell you.

It is a legitimate import being sold cheaper from unauthorised manufactures retail outlets. These are sourced often from different countries that have low or no import/export duties or taxes

The products are exactly the same but not supplied with a manufactures warranty, the "grey" importer often offer their own warranty instead as a back to base repair.

The goods are initially a lot cheaper to purchase and therefore imported at a lower price which reduces import duty and cost to the consumer

So nothing illegal, but members on that other site say it is wrong
Theres a big difference between tax avoidance and tax evasion. One is legal and one is not, and although avoidance is legal, some think immoral.

My personal opinion is theres also a big difference between multi national conglomerates not paying millions of £££ in tax and an individual getting a couple off a camera.

Some people seriously need to get a life and take forums far too seriously.

Ignore them Realspeed!
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 11:32 PM

My Nikon D5300 was a Grey import. An American company was selling it for a couple of hundred pounds cheaper than here in the UK. It was sent directly from China, all import and other taxes paid and worked well. Fortunately, it never failed, so I have no idea if a main supplier would repair it, or I would have to contact the supplier to send it back. I have no problem at all about buying Grey imports, however, I do advise checking out the supplier first.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-12-2017, 11:42 PM

There was a spate of grey import Japanese 4x4s a few years ago including Toyotas and Mitsubishi at prices far lower than official dealer prices. The only caveat was that if they broke down, official dealers wouldn't repair them. Nothing whatever wrong with that because they were imported quite legally by independent dealers. You can still get them now (look out for the small wing mirror on the nearside wing - a legal requirement in Japan)
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 10:03 AM

I've bought a lot of bits and pieces from a Korean site, brilliant prices less even than without tax here. Nothing wrong with the items, and if we made them here I'd probably buy them here. But we don't make them here so I'm not affecting uk jobs, tax I've actually paid a couple of times as they have stopped things coming in at the border ok I pay up and am still happy with my stuff.

If I really thought I was affecting manufacturing here I'd stop as I'm a keen buy British fan, but we don't manufacture as we used to.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 10:25 AM

As long as it's the real thing go for it, it's legal and it's a bargain so why not?

A word of warning though I bought my daughter a Michael Kors handbag for Christmas. Before buying it I checked out prices on the internet and one person was selling them at a really low price so I emailed and asked if they were the real thing?

I got a message back saying they sourced them as real and they were told they were real? That didn't sound right to me so I ended up at the Michael Kors shop in York spending more but at least it's real and I know my daughter will love it.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 10:53 AM

I buy a lot of stuff from China directly especially through Ebay. The main disadvantage is that it takes up to a month to arrive (post free). There is no GST because imported goods under $1000 are exempt (much to the ire of the big white goods stores) and we are a free trade country so there is no import duty.

Funny thing is though I wanted to buy a camera from the USA via Amazon (a cheap Go Pro knock off) but Amazon wouldn't sell it to me. I will have to look for the manufacturer.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 09:12 PM

Realspeed, do anything you wanna do. Don't listen to anyone else.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2017, 09:36 PM

AllI can say is a huge thank you all for the support in these posts. When you know you are doing nothing wrong and yet some are intent to say different makes me wonder what they are like in real life.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top