Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 11:59 AM

David Gilmour: Live at Pompeii

Obviously I'm a big Pink Floyd fan and recently this classic band's lead guitarist revisited the Pompeii amphitheatre for the first time since his band played the ancient venue in 1971, performing this time with his own band.
I saw the first showing of this concert at the cinema (which was a one-off for one night only at 250 Odeon cinemas across the country), and subsequently purchased both CD and Blu-ray of the event.
At almost 70, this guy has still got it. Here's an instrumental from the show:
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 02:22 PM

Re: David Gilmour: Live at Pompeii

Till as fresh today as it was i first heard it. played as the Floyd.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 10:58 PM

Excellent concert and what a bloody great guitarist
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 11:10 PM

I've always found it pretty disgraceful that a band as big as Pink Floyd have so little film available.
Unless you have access to bootlegs, there is absolutely nothing between the original Pompeii in 1972 and Pulse in 1995. You'd think the classic 'big four' of the 1970's (Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals and The Wall) would have been released on DVD by now.
Can't understand it.
gasman
Kent, UK
gasman is male  gasman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 11:23 PM

I just had another look and you are right Floydy. Surely these would be a great money spinner and a bonus for the bands millions of fans?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2017, 11:47 PM

Lets just hope the back catalogue was never about money.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

09-12-2017, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by gasman ->
I just had another look and you are right Floydy. Surely these would be a great money spinner and a bonus for the bands millions of fans?
It's strange that there is plenty of footage out there from the very early Syd Barrett years, most of it from the BBC. I do have dozens of bootlegs from the 1970's years on CDs and MP3, but it seems very little was actually filmed. Compare that to the availablitity of concerts by similar era bands such as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Queen and it's quite bizarre really. We can only hope.
Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Lets just hope the back catalogue was never about money.
Of course it's about money, isn't everything?
And it's certainly a wonder that EMI haven't plagiarised the catalogue in a way they have The Beatles.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2017, 10:17 PM

Oddly perhaps to some, my favourite Floyd album is The Final Cut.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

12-12-2017, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
Oddly perhaps to some, my favourite Floyd album is The Final Cut.
Hi Ffosse.
I know exactly what you mean by that, but it's great that you mention it.

The Final Cut is an absolute masterpiece in my opinion. Very underrated when it came out because it had to follow the grandiose masterpiece that was The Wall, together with the bitter fall out that Pink Floyd were going through as well. Despite its no.1 placing it went by largely unnoticed by most except Floyd fans.
Basically, it was a Roger Waters solo album in all but name. Gilmour contributed a little, as did Nick Mason but Richard Wright had long departed the band, hence very little of the 'classic Floyd sound' was present. In his place, a sumptuously orchestrated soundscape.

What we did end up with was a magnificently bleak concept about the perils of war. Lyrically dark but extremely poetic, I rate The Final Cut as one of their best albums.

But as we mention it in this thread, we will never see David Gilmour playing tracks from this album, in the same way perhaps we don't hear him play Animals.

Luckily for me though, I expect Roger Waters will add a couple of numbers to his set next July when I see him live.

Thanks Ffosse
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2017, 12:35 AM

Superb. That animation they had showing in the background - I remember watching that on the Old Grey Whistle Test with whispering Bob Harris in 1971 when the Meddle album was released. As good now as it was then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top