Join for free
Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 12:08 PM

Re: England - The New Dawn

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
Oh come on !! it is many years since England defenders main tool was thumping it down field. For years they have majored in time wasting ineffectual retention of the ball as they played out of defence, so called, only to give it away the moment they tried anything resembling skill. Square passes, back passes, we have been excellent at that providing there was no opposition nearby.

We have lacked any players since Bobby Moore with the defensive skills allied to passing skills required at the top level. So far we have played two minnows, let's see what happens when we face some decent opposition. Certainly we shall have to step up on anything seen for many years.
You clearly haven't a clue what you are talking about Boxer Boy. Too many blows to the head perhaps?

The more "progressive" and "sophisticated" style of play that has been introduced is a deliberate and recent development - and not as some time wasting device that you claim has been the practice since Bobby Moore retired.

Before the last England game Ferdinand was discussing this very change, saying Sven Erickson insisted that he didn't bring the ball out looking to play and after some debate was told he either did it his way or didn't get picked. The England formation and style of play is quite different now.

Then Lampard spoke about the changes under Southgate in midfield and in attacking areas and how much easier and more effective for the so called " Golden Generation" it would have been with this approach.

As this new composure and playing out the back style was being introduced players would get caught out and crucial errors would sometimes occur causing ex-pro pundits to proclaim that he should have lumped it into the proverbial row Z.

Managers would point out it was on their instructions that they were now playing that was and they were "teething problems" which would be ironed out eventually.

Anyway I have wasted too much time on you already so read what I said again earlier. It was a neat summing up of what had happened (even if I say so myself):

There has been a revolution in recent times in the way football is coached (including down the age groups in the academies). It's a more "enlightened" and "progressive" style of play which has evolved. And it is already paying off with the unprecedented success of the youth teams at all levels, last year.

Man United's embarrassing thrashing by Barcelona in 20011 was a wake up call to the English leagues as well - shorter, more considered passes and patient build up. With defenders having the skill and composure to play the ball out of defence (rather than just lumping it all the time).

Southgate has taken all this (and more) on board and in future we will be able to compete with the best far more than in previous decades.

Already there is some genuine, top top talent coming through. For further details see my thread on three gems, on the way to the senior team:

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=51295
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Well that was a waste of bandwidth...nothing new, just a repeat if what you have read somewhere ...I wasted time reading that.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 12:42 PM

All this strategic is all well and good but, people should not have to watch it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by basser ->
if you don't agree with Gravitas 100% he gets all up tight and yes LD he tends to have a strop and insults people just like a 12yr old.
He tends to have a strop if you DO agree with him too (not that it happens very often).
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 09:09 PM

Sure Gravy isn't a lady?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
sure gravy isn't a lady?
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
You clearly haven't a clue what you are talking about Boxer Boy. Too many blows to the head perhaps?
Yes I am totally stupid..... I even imagined the Belgians who beat us where vastly superior , possessing technical skills and appreciation that were as usual seriously lacking in the England team. I just imagined that their ball retention was vastly superior to the sad efforts of the England team.

Still you carry on believing, it won't do you any harm.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Sure Gravy isn't a lady?
Only on the weekends.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

30-06-2018, 09:58 PM

This could be strategic, if our opponents get water retention, in the ball region
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2018, 12:14 PM

Don't cry 4 3 Argentina

Page 5 of 9 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top