Join for free
Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Freespirit
Dorset, UK
Freespirit is female  Freespirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 12:38 AM

Re: Why not keep it all in your own hands?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You are perfectly correct, Moscow.

Personally, I am becoming rather bored with all of these anti-Brexit comments regardless of their source.

I thought remainiacs were only British political fifth-columnists or naive loony-lefties, but it seems that similar assertions are now appearing from other countries!

I am not particularly annoyed about that, but I ask myself why that is happening.

The only answer that readily springs to mind is the obvious one that when the UK leaves the EU, the remaining member states will be obliged to make up the financial shortfall! I can, at least, understand their concerns.

Also, any goods we import/export to and from the rest of the world should come directly to our ports not via Rotterdam/Amsterdam eg. New Zealand lamb. That will hit their transport trade.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Freespirit ->
Also, any goods we import/export to and from the rest of the world should come directly to our ports not via Rotterdam/Amsterdam eg. New Zealand lamb. That will hit their transport trade.
I don't know much about these things, but why do imports from outside the EU come via Rotterdam?

I know it's a big port but, unless imports are destined for other EU countries in addition to the UK, I can't understand why they don't already come here directly.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 07:27 AM

I don't know much about these things, but why do imports from outside the EU come via Rotterdam?

I know it's a big port but, unless imports are destined for other EU countries in addition to the UK, I can't understand why they don't already come here directly.
That's the EU for you, JBR.

It's the Dutch reward for being good little EU poodles.

In any other reality goods destined for the UK would come here directly as we have the facilities and the capacity and we have the infrastructure and skills base to increase capacity......but that's the EU for you !

The Dutch are bricking themselves re Brexit as they will lose trade and incur increased costs. Just as all net contributors will.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
That's the EU for you, JBR.

It's the Dutch reward for being good little EU poodles.

In any other reality goods destined for the UK would come here directly as we have the facilities and the capacity and we have the infrastructure and skills base to increase capacity......but that's the EU for you !

The Dutch are bricking themselves re Brexit as they will lose trade and incur increased costs. Just as all net contributors will.
Hi

They go through Rotterdam because it is cheaper for the big container ships to unload there and then tranship to smaller vessels.

The UK has only recently invested in developing facilities big enough to handle the new larger container ships.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...s-biggest-ship

More containers would have been landed here in the UK irrespective of Brexit.

As fot the Netherlands and the EU bricking it, who is asking for a 2 year Transition period and offering to pay for it?

The UK or the EU?

The UK of course.

Exports to the UK from the EU are 15% of their total and will be subject to Tariffs.

Exports from the UK to the EU are 47% our our total Exports.

We have another 12% of our Exports going to countries which have Free Trade agreements with the EU.

It was our intention to copy and paste these, there have been objections to this made to the WTO.

The USA is one of those objecting.

Yesterday, the senior USA Trade Official said he was hopeful we could conclude a Trade Agreement with the USA within the nextTen Years.

The government publishes it's Trade Bill today.

It will be interesting.
Racker
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Racker is male  Racker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 02:00 PM

You are perfectly correct, Moscow.

Personally, I am becoming rather bored with all of these anti-Brexit comments regardless of their source.

I thought remainiacs were only British political fifth-columnists or naive loony-lefties, but it seems that similar assertions are now appearing from other countries!
Remaniacs and Brexiteers... maybe, but still both British. I'm just a neutral bystander, wondering why the inhabitants of that beautiful island across the North Sea are making things so difficult for themselves. @JBR: Instead of thinking out of the box and keeping things in your own hands, it appears to me that you're pushing anyone that does not totally and fully thinks in your own straight line (no pun intended) *in* boxes instead of having a fruitfull discussion. FTR: I will not be pushed in one of those boxes. Not in any box, for that matter....
I am not particularly annoyed about that, but I ask myself why that is happening.

The only answer that readily springs to mind is the obvious one that when the UK leaves the EU, the remaining member states will be obliged to make up the financial shortfall! I can, at least, understand their concerns.
If the UK leaves the EU, "old" obligations will have to be met. Period. Alternatively the UK will totally isolate itself worldwide, as an untrustworthy businesspartner if they do not meet those obligations.

The "beauty" of my solution is, that the UK (albeit smaller) will remain in the EU, so no extra deals or exessive payments. England (and Wales maybe), leaving the UK would be a totally British affair. Everybody happy, exept maybe the EU treasurers....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Racker ->
Remaniacs and Brexiteers... maybe, but still both British. I'm just a neutral bystander, wondering why the inhabitants of that beautiful island across the North Sea are making things so difficult for themselves. @JBR: Instead of thinking out of the box and keeping things in your own hands, it appears to me that you're pushing anyone that does not totally and fully thinks in your own straight line (no pun intended) *in* boxes instead of having a fruitfull discussion. FTR: I will not be pushed in one of those boxes. Not in any box, for that matter....
If the UK leaves the EU, "old" obligations will have to be met. Period. Alternatively the UK will totally isolate itself worldwide, as an untrustworthy businesspartner if they do not meet those obligations.

The "beauty" of my solution is, that the UK (albeit smaller) will remain in the EU, so no extra deals or exessive payments. England (and Wales maybe), leaving the UK would be a totally British affair. Everybody happy, exept maybe the EU treasurers....
But surely you must be aware that your solution of splitting up the country in this way reflects very closely the EU's intention of dividing all EU countries into smaller regions.

Perhaps the EU has ulterior motives in doing this. Perhaps smaller, individual regions would be easier to rule.
Racker
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Racker is male  Racker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 05:49 PM

But surely you must be aware that your solution of splitting up the country in this way reflects very closely the EU's intention of dividing all EU countries into smaller regions.
Maybe I'm naïve, but I was under the impression, Scotland, England, Wales and N. Ireland *are* seperate countries. No splitting up neccessary. It'd all be just a paper divorce, the countries still being connected under the umbrella of the Commonwelth where inter-British convenants would still be in place. It'd be a win/win situation, as I see it.

Perhaps the EU has ulterior motives in doing this. Perhaps smaller, individual regions would be easier to rule.
IMHO, the present European "nation- states" will lose their use anyway, now that "we" have the EU as a common "umbrella". Smaller entities, each making their own arrangements with the EU w/o the bothersome, if not moldy remains of their past. In Germany, as well as in France states and regions will gain relevance. W've seen it happen in Czechoslovakia, we see things crack in Spain, in Belgium... And in the UK of course (Scottish referendum). And is that bad?? I think it's inevitable.

Considering the globalization of the economy, Europe should be strong and stand united to other economic blocks (sorry, my English isn't good enough to emphasize the nuances), while maintaining democratic rights to the various nations and groups of people within. That's what "we" should work on...

At heart, I'm totally with John lennon: https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/johnlennon/imagine.html But at 67 i've grown up to be a trifle more cynical... and pragmatic!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-11-2017, 06:25 PM

Maybe I'm naïve, but I was under the impression, Scotland, England, Wales and N. Ireland *are* seperate countries.
Yes, separate countries united under a single government, with a single head of state and working together, and have been for several centuries. Until recently we were an independent nation and could run our country to our own benefit.

IMHO, the present European "nation- states" will lose their use anyway, nor that "we" have the EU as a common "umbrella". Smaller entities, each making their own arrangements with the EU w/o the bothersome, if not moldy remains of their past.
Absolutely true. The present European nation-states are naively handing away their sovereignty to an overriding organisation which is, no doubt, of financial benefit to a small number of countries such as Germany and France. I'm not sure that Greece, Spain and Italy see it the same way, though.

I have to say that I am surprised that so many countries, including your own, were conquered militarily seventy years ago and ruled by an evil dictatorship. I believe that a similar thing is happening right now, but the difference is that the conquest is via economic and political means.

Surely, the Netherland's loss of its sovereignty at that time, within living memory, must cause some concern to its people. You'll no doubt say that I'm exaggerating. I sincerely hope so for your sake.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 06:55 PM

Alternatively what about the EU leaving us and paying us billions of pounds in compensation for all that we have done for them?
For example we freed France from the German invasion during the last war with huge loss of English lives. What about compensating us for that alone?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Alternatively what about the EU leaving us and paying us billions of pounds in compensation for all that we have done for them?
For example we freed France from the German invasion during the last war with huge loss of English lives. What about compensating us for that alone?
Just the UK did that?
Did we not have quite a bit of help from the USA in particular? Not forgetting the Commonwealth, free French, Poles etc.

Page 4 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top