Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Windows

I am having real problems with my laptop this morning. Microsoft (which I hate) has decided to install and update numerous things and has changed my desktop completely, removed Firefox as my search engine and reinstalled IE and Outlook Express (which I haven't used for around 7 years or so) and now I can't find anything! This site didn't recognise me at all to begin with and when I click for threads - I get given two or told there are no threads!

I detest Microsoft progams - they are so intrusive.

How do I put AVG back on as my preferred program (Microsoft has disabled that as well) and get back to my comfy position of knowing where everything is (and where has all my desktop stuff gone?)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 08:36 AM

Re: Windows

Could you system restore to an earlier date ? I had to do it when updates completely messed up my system a year or so ago.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 08:47 AM

Sometimes my search engine changes from iGoogle to AVG so I have to do the following :- click on a cog-like symbol in the top right-hand side; in the box click on "internet options"; in the next box click on "use default" and then on "OK"; switch off the search engine and then switch on again. It works for me.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 09:32 AM

Well you are lucky you know how it works.... I dont so have to go with the flow.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I am having real problems with my laptop this morning. Microsoft (which I hate) has decided to install and update numerous things and has changed my desktop completely, removed Firefox as my search engine and reinstalled IE and Outlook Express (which I haven't used for around 7 years or so) and now I can't find anything! This site didn't recognise me at all to begin with and when I click for threads - I get given two or told there are no threads!

How do I put AVG back on as my preferred program (Microsoft has disabled that as well) and get back to my comfy position of knowing where everything is (and where has all my desktop stuff gone?)

Wow, that is unusual. What version of Windows are you using? Something doesn't sound at all right. Are you sure you haven't logged in as a different user or something?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->

Karen I think there is a place on your PC control panel that allows you to accept and decline Windows Updates, I saw it on mine yesterday but not sure where it was
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:36 AM

Many thanks for your replies - I shall jot them down and then have a go but I'm worried I'll mess it all up again!

Mark - yes, it's worrying me too as it has changed everything, even my desktop, every icon has gone (including my games ) It's Windows 7, I was running AVG and search Engine was Firefox. When I turned the laptop off last night, it said there were 11 updates to be made and it started making them, normally, I just switch the laptop off but thought 'nah, I'll leave it running just in case' and then this morning, it doesn't even look like my laptop onscreen. No idea what's happened. I'm trying to avoid taking it to the computer shop as he charges a fortune and my son, if I ask him, adopts that put-upon look even though I rarely ask him to look at it for me.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2013, 10:41 AM

....I also discovered that IE is a default Microsoft programme on my laptop (Windows 7 )with no way of removing it altogether though you can turn it off by going to...
Control panel/Programs and features/Turn windows features on or off/...
...now deselect IE in the tick box.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

15-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Karen I think there is a place on your PC control panel that allows you to accept and decline Windows Updates, I saw it on mine yesterday but not sure where it was
....how to turn off Windows updates..

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...-off=windows-7
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

15-08-2013, 10:48 AM

I have duly noted those Meg and when I've finished nattering on here - I shall have a go! Many thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top