Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 07:03 PM

Do we need a nuclear deterrent ?

Yay or nay?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 07:13 PM

Re: Do we need a nuclear deterrent ?

Yes we do the emphasis being on the word 'deterrent'.

I wish they have never been invented but unfortunately they have and we need them as an insurance policy.

We can't rely on sheltering under protective umbrella of the USA these days.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 07:17 PM

Yes we do ... pretty much for the reasons Meg has just given.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 07:30 PM

Yes we do.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 07:53 PM

Yes...read this and weep..

"British Army Could Be Wiped Out By Russia In An Afternoon"

Britain's ability to "deliver and sustain" an effective fighting force in the face of a "competent" enemy like Russia has been "effectively removed", according to the Army's think-tank.
http://forces.tv/07710167
It would seem to be our ONLY deterrent
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 07:55 PM

I must admit that I had my doubts at one time, but the world is an ever more dangerous place, particularly now with Iran and North Korea on the nuclear ascent so I firmly believe we do, yes. Although having said that, the worry is that such as Kim Jong Un are probably bonkers enough not to care about the threat of retaliation and launch a strike anyway....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Yes...read this and weep..

"British Army Could Be Wiped Out By Russia In An Afternoon"

Britain's ability to "deliver and sustain" an effective fighting force in the face of a "competent" enemy like Russia has been "effectively removed", according to the Army's think-tank.
http://forces.tv/07710167
It would seem to be our ONLY deterrent
Yes, I read that.

As our government has seen fit to reduce our conventional armed forces to well below an effective defence force, we must rely on our 'ultimate deterrent' and hope that, if push comes to shove, the government would be prepared to use it.

Incidentally, as we now have so few conventional forces, you might imagine that we'd be obliged to keep our noses out of the world's trouble spots, and especially the middle-east.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I must admit that I had my doubts at one time, but the world is an ever more dangerous place, particularly now with Iran and North Korea on the nuclear ascent so I firmly believe we do, yes. Although having said that, the worry is that such as Kim Jong Un are probably bonkers enough not to care about the threat of retaliation and launch a strike anyway....
Even Donald might try it, but I am sure he would send us all a tweet about it first.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

23-01-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, I read that.

As our government has seen fit to reduce our conventional armed forces to well below and effective defence force, we must rely on our 'ultimate deterrent' and hope that, if push comes to shove, the government would be prepared to use it.

Incidentally, as we now have so few conventional forces, you might imagine that we'd be obliged to keep our noses out of the world's trouble spots, and especially the middle-east.
If our Army cannot defend the state then there is no point having them. We could keep some them for flood defences, guarding Buck House and Trooping the colour for the tourist etc
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2017, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
If our Army cannot defend the state then there is no point having them. We could keep some them for flood defences, guarding Buck House and Trooping the colour for the tourist etc
I suspect that that is just about their only practical use now.

Seriously, we still have the world's best special forces, I'm sure, but anything bigger must be way beyond our means now.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top