Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 07:30 PM

Re: Is this the end ARCHIE?

Theres always hope x - Could be he was just 'on the turn' ......
Hope he is soon back to his old self xx
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 07:47 PM

Robert, don't give up on Archie yet...

During the winter season, cats may sleep more to conserve their energy levels. If Archie doesn’t display any abnormal symptoms, only sleeps more than usual, this shouldn’t be a concerning factor. My cat Cassie is 16 and we notice a huge difference in the amount of time she sleeps during the winter. She doesn't want to go outdoors very often, preferring to stay in the warmth of the house. Some days she doesn't want her food, there again she is getting no exercise to warrant her usual appetite. I usually poach her some white fish and offer her very small portions to tempt her. You could also try sardines in spring water, I find Cassie never refuses that

As soon as the weather warms up, cats look forward to playing and spending time outdoors again.

One thing that could put Archie off his food could be the presence of a hairball, again this has been known in Cassie's case. Even though she is regularly brushed every day, she still swallows fur when she grooms herself. For this, I give her Katalax - a cat Laxative Paste which is a palatable combination of white soft paraffin; cod liver oil and malt extract which aids in the elimination of hairballs. It comes in a tube and I squeeze about half an inch on her paw which she can't resist licking off immediately.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow, please keep us informed Robert...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Good points raised there Mags ......
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 10:30 PM

Mags comments make alot of sense RJ, especially the hairball one. Just another thought as well, but he hasn't licked at any antifreeze puddles by any chance anywhere has he? I also agree with Audrey that although 13 is 'getting on a bit', its certainly not past the point of no return for a cat, so don't give up hope.
One last thought too - does he do his toilet in other people's gardens do you know? Some people get so fed up with this they put all sorts of nasty stuff down to deter them. There was an article I read recently where 9 cats in one village were poisoned!
I do hope he gets on alright tomorrow, and even though it must be a worry for you, try not to give up hope on him just yet.
Good luck Archie, you hang on in there boy.

P.S. Might he have been clipped by a car?
P.P.S. Did the vet tell you exactly what things they had tested for?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-12-2013, 11:01 PM

Thank you all for responses, I can’t answer every one tonight but a little miracle has happened, Archie got up walked to front door & then walked into our sitting room & jumped up on nurse Gillian's lap, where he remains for now..
I don’t want to raise false hope but he looks much better, but he’s still going to the vet first thing

What a caring bunch you are.
thank you all.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 12:30 AM

I hope Archie is feeling better and will soon be back to his usual self. Quite some years ago a friend of ours had a cat that got hit by a car and it's back was broken. The vet said that nothing could be done and recommended having the cat put to sleep. However our friend couldn't bear the thought and she took the cat home. For the next 3/4 months the cat lay in his bed, sleeping most of the time, our friend kept him clean and she fed him, he didn't seem to lose his appetite. After these months had passed the cat suddenly managed to stand up one day and a few weeks later he was more or less back to his old self, even jumping on to chairs.
Wasn't it James Herriot who realised that sick cats will sleep themselves better? Anyway I hope Archie is okay and feels much better.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 11:25 AM

Thankyou for all of your responses.

Very sad to say that ARCHIE passed away very quickly early today as we were getting ready to take him to the vet's.

I think he knew his time had come & his rallying last night was his way of saying GOODBYE.

He was my daughters cat. When she married & moved to a flat ARCHIE stayed with us. He always gave her a warm welcome.
As for me he was mostly aloof .Alas he has now gone & I will miss him terribly
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-12-2013, 11:46 AM

Ah - sorry to hear this Robert - what you say there, makes sense .....
Thankfully he did not suffer - hugs to you xx
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 12:12 PM

Sorry to hear about Archie.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2013, 01:18 PM

Aww - Robert, I am so sorry to hear this

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top