Join for free
Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 10:26 AM

Re: ECJ rules Headscarf bans legal

Which ever way we look at it , everyone has a different example to give.

One that stands out in my mind, was when a group of Muslim ladies wished to have swimming lessons in the local leisure centre.

Nobody objected, viewed as a normal course of events. The specific time they wanted meant that classes for over 60's had to be cancelled , the windows on the upper level had to be blocked out and the lifeguards could not be male. So rotas had to be changed accordingly, to enable the two female lifeguards to be in attendance. Then the clothing was a problem and they wanted to swim in t/shirts and jogging pants. Never can anyone else do so but exceptions were made. Everything set up for the next six weeks. They went for the first week and never went back. So for 5 weeks, there was an empty pool, people with a changed schedule, blacked out windows, that had to be done every time and no contact or explanations from them.

Point being , they have been treated and accepted in many places, they simply don't seem to understand how people have bent over backwards to accommodate their religious dogma. Once we have a gun held to our heads, we may as well say 'give up' and unless we do make some sort of legal stance in all of these unsettling issues, we will in the not too distant future, have a gun to our heads. We can all live in harmony, when both sides give.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by muddy ->
muslim women aren't being banned from doing anything, they're just choosing to wear something, and they can wear it if they like.
they just can't necessarily wear it in workplaces with dress codes. why should their clothing preferences be catered to above and beyond those of anyone else. Otherwise we could have people people running about dressed as jedi warriors or buddhist monks, secularism means treating everyone equally. in the real world the is no reason to give priority to irrational superstitious beliefs with no basis in reality.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Personally I'd say that was bad management, if the pool cancelled other classes that was their mistake not the people asking for that time period. We had a prayer room made at work, they had no choice of room it was just set up for them, complaints came in the rest room had now become unusable as you couldn't access it. I didn't blame the Muslims it was the management made that gaff. But others blame the religion !
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Personally I'd say that was bad management, if the pool cancelled other classes that was their mistake not the people asking for that time period. We had a prayer room made at work, they had no choice of room it was just set up for them, complaints came in the rest room had now become unusable as you couldn't access it. I didn't blame the Muslims it was the management made that gaff. But others blame the religion !
No Julie, as the pool was booked for all sorts of other things all day, like disability swimming, school classes , lessons that were paid for. It was the ONLY available slot to be adjusted! Had they been refused, well one can only surmise what might have been concluded.
Do you have a prayer room made for other religious denominations in your work or do they all share the same one ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The question I ask is " Would they be happy if a woman walked through their community, in their own country, dressed in a pair of shorts and a skimpy top?" If anybody says they would, I would like to see photographic evidence of a western lady, dressed as she would on holiday in a hot Spain, walking among Muslim ladies dressed in their "chosen" attire.
We are never going to agree on this, but I have to say that I would be uncomfortable, walking round certain areas in Britain, where these people are wearing their " chosen" dress code.
I have seen videos where they make demands on what British people, living in their own country, do when walking down the road that passes their Mosque. When all of them show acceptance of how we British live, then they can start to expect tolerance from us. Until then I suggest that their Imans remind them that their chosen country expects them to follow the British Culture, as they expect us to do in their own countries.
Of course. If you were to walk down the street wearing a miniskirt and a low cut top in many muslim countries, you'd almost certainly be arrested.

In our country, muslim women can walk where they want dressed as a Dalek and no-one dare say anything.

Fair?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-03-2017, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
Which ever way we look at it , everyone has a different example to give.

One that stands out in my mind, was when a group of Muslim ladies wished to have swimming lessons in the local leisure centre.

Nobody objected, viewed as a normal course of events. The specific time they wanted meant that classes for over 60's had to be cancelled , the windows on the upper level had to be blocked out and the lifeguards could not be male. So rotas had to be changed accordingly, to enable the two female lifeguards to be in attendance. Then the clothing was a problem and they wanted to swim in t/shirts and jogging pants. Never can anyone else do so but exceptions were made. Everything set up for the next six weeks. They went for the first week and never went back. So for 5 weeks, there was an empty pool, people with a changed schedule, blacked out windows, that had to be done every time and no contact or explanations from them.

Point being , they have been treated and accepted in many places, they simply don't seem to understand how people have bent over backwards to accommodate their religious dogma. Once we have a gun held to our heads, we may as well say 'give up' and unless we do make some sort of legal stance in all of these unsettling issues, we will in the not too distant future, have a gun to our heads. We can all live in harmony, when both sides give.
Oh, I think they do. They know that we are weak, they know that we are led by weak leaders, and they know that we are under threat to not say anything publicly so they take full advantage of us.

All our own fault, of course.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2017, 11:03 AM

No Julie, as the pool was booked for all sorts of other things all day, like disability swimming, school classes , lessons that were paid for. It was the ONLY available slot to be adjusted! Had they been refused, well one can only surmise what might have been concluded.
Do you have a prayer room made for other religious denominations in your work or do they all share the same one ?
No one else asked for one so that's only reason no one else has one I'm assured if I needed a place it would be made for me, but I have no need. The ladies who breast feed have a room to express and fridge of their own, showers have been put in fir the cyclists and lunch time runners, also I'm told there is a vegetarian fridge on one floor if I need it but I don't take food in and don't mind sharing if I did. They are very concerned personal are happy as any employer should be because when anyone is asked for extra we all do whatever is asked of us no complaining. That's a lesson for all employers.

I'd still say that was bad management if no one turned up first week I'd be ringing up to say it was there if they didn't use it again the faculty would be lost to them. Unless they paid of course in advance, then it's theirs to swim in or not and nothing to do with anyone else what they chose to do.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

16-03-2017, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=Julie1962;1113341].

I'd still say that was bad management if no one turned up first week I'd be ringing up to say it was there if they didn't use it again the faculty would be lost to them. Unless they paid of course in advance, then it's theirs to swim in or not and nothing to do with anyone else what they chose to do.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that precisely the issue here being discussed. They got their own way at the expense of pensioners swimming, they paid in advance so no one else could use it, and didn't bother turning up apart from the first week.
It was not all for their taking. It involved other people who did not have to change rosta, who did not have to black out windows , and they could have been denied access without proper swimming attire. So, it's not only what they choose to do and they ruined it for any others who were hoping to follow the same path.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

16-03-2017, 11:39 AM

Isn't that precisely the issue here being discussed. They got their own way at the expense of pensioners swimming, they paid in advance so no one else could use it, and didn't bother turning up apart from the first week.
That raises the suspicion that perhaps they were just trying to make a point, or to satisfy themselves that they can do virtually anything they want in the secure knowledge that none of us can do anything but give in to them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

16-03-2017, 11:57 AM

[QUOTE=Puddle Duck;1113363]
Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

I'd still say that was bad management if no one turned up first week I'd be ringing up to say it was there if they didn't use it again the faculty would be lost to them. Unless they paid of course in advance, then it's theirs to swim in or not and nothing to do with anyone else what they chose to do.[/QUOTE]

It was not all for their taking. It involved other people who did not have to change rosta, who did not have to black out windows , and they could have been denied access without proper swimming attire. So, it's not only what they choose to do and they ruined it for any others who were hoping to follow the same path.
If it was paid for then they had a perfect right to waste their money any way they wished more fool the management though for allowing it to happen. All it does is cause trouble for others, if a woman only time was inacted and advertised for all women I'm betting that wouldn't have happened. A bit more thought and looking at what some women need might have saved the day and made the pool busier than ever.

Page 11 of 12 « First < 9 10 11 12 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top