Join for free
Page 12 of 33 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:08 PM

Re: What makes me tick

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
What I don't get (and I'm not picking on Tarantula) is why people that are blunt see it as a quality that others have to accept. Personally, I see bluntness and rudeness as being the same thing. It doesn't take a lot of effort to get your message across within a reasonable sentence.
I agree with this Longdogs.

Just because somebody is blunt and calls a 'Spade a Spade' doesn't mean that they are right, either in their comment or their manner. It just shows a lack of respect for the other person's feelings. It does, however, seem to work on a forum, as it provokes interesting discussion, but leaves many thinking that they are glad not to be married to such a thoughtless, uncaring and bombastic individual.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:10 PM

I agree I have seen so many people put down by someone who thinks 'bluntness 'is ok .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I agree with this Longdogs.

Just because somebody is blunt and calls a 'Spade a Spade' doesn't mean that they are right, either in their comment or their manner. It just shows a lack of respect for the other person's feelings. It does, however, seem to work on a forum, as it provokes interesting discussion, but leaves many thinking that they are glad not to be married to such a thoughtless, uncaring and bombastic individual.
I think you have hit the nail on the head OGF. For some reason Blunt people think they are right which gives them the right to say it as it is.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
LD that is because I take more time to consider my words behind a keyboard, I am more blunt in real life though age has taught me moderation.

I once told a person I didn't like her dress because it looked like curtain material (which it did) not to be unkind but because I didn't want her going out and looking foolish and others thinking it but not saying it.
I learnt blunt words and having a lack of tact can be very hurtful to people .
Yes because someone else may have seen her dress and thought it was lovely. It's just a matter of opinion and in this case taste.

Btw, was it Jasmine Harmann?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 01:58 PM

I'm having a giggle about the bluntness argument when in another thread people are arguing for absolute free speech. It's becoming obvious you can't have both.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 02:17 PM

manners has nothing to do with free speech, imho.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 02:30 PM

I don't know what I am supposed to have said which has upset some people? I never use swear words unlike some, which I do find offensive and rude.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I don't know what I am supposed to have said which has upset some people? I never use swear words unlike some, which I do find offensive and rude.
Well me neither T you've not managed to upset me, although you tried
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm having a giggle about the bluntness argument when in another thread people are arguing for absolute free speech. It's becoming obvious you can't have both.
There is a certain irony in saying people shouldn't be blunt but they can say what they like in the interests of free speech.

So I guess some people think others can be objectionable as they please as long as they do it politely eg someone saying to me 'Madam you are a bitch'
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well me neither T you've not managed to upset me, although you tried
I have NOT tried to upset you, or anyone else, that is not my style.

Page 12 of 33 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top