Join for free
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 02:21 PM

Passwords being Sold On, or Compromised

We've mentioned, before, that logons & passwords can be compromised because email lists get built & sold on by disgruntled employeees, or after companies close down.

That could mean that someone might have your log on data without you knowing.

We recommended "haveIbeenpwnd" to check for that.

However, MS Edge now includes a facility to check for this (after release 88, I understand) and you can switch it on, in your MS Edge settings, as follows here:-

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...ew/m-p/1499656

It ought to be switched on automatically, but you might want to check.

"Launch Microsoft Edge browser
Press Alt+F
Select Settings
Select Profiles from the left panel
Under Passwords, enable Show alerts when passwords are found in an online leak."
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 05:48 PM

Re: Passwords being Sold On, or Compromised

So, what top secret info do you have to protect Tedc?
Asking for a friend...
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 05:55 PM

This reminds me of when I worked in a solicitors years ago, and a guy came in with an envelope. It had a wax seal on it (!) and was not to be opened under any circumstances other than his death. We were all oohing and ahhing as to what it could be, and it lay in the safe for a number of months. He came back in, a few months later, requested the envelope and said it contained all his computer passwords, which he had stored under one main password.

Which he had inputted 3 times.

Got locked out forever......!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2021, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
So, what top secret info do you have to protect Tedc?
Asking for a friend...
If anyone got the personal data file, from some shop site which you use to buy stuff, they would have your email, password, addresss, bank numbers ?, whatever.

It's surprising what online companies have, in the way of your details.

Is that what you were asking?

Some years ago, eBay told me that there were some un paid for items in my eBay account.

On checking I found that my delivery address had been changed to a russian address & some items had been purchased and set for delivery.

Luckily, my Paypal account was not linked &, also, luckily, eBay sorted it all out.

It was only later that i found that they did it this way!
Jane10
United Kingdom
Jane10 is female 

05-02-2021, 08:15 PM

Oh blimey. Scary. Must check but I'm almost afraid to.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top