Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 09:38 PM

Re: Are you superstitious?

I know it sounds crazy but I go absolutely bonkers if cups and mugs are not all facing the same way, and I never ever will put a knife and fork down crossed over one another. Is that superstition?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 09:41 PM

Think so ,crossed knives means you are going to have a row with someone.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
you're kidding, right?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 09:58 PM

Superstition comes under the same category as religion, Santa claus, ghosts and the tooth fairy in my book and I don't believe in any of them
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2018, 10:09 PM

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->

That's' what they say, I agree.

Never heard anything about a knife and fork crossed, Adenac, only two knives.

My old Mum was superstitious. She never let us put new shoes on the table, or an unbrella up indoors, and she used to cover all the mirrors up in storms.
When I was a kid I used to say a little rhyme if ever a funeral hearse went by.
Some people believe Magpies are unlucky too, I believe.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 12:36 AM

where does superstition come from? is it something handed down from parents to children or is it something casually heard ?

Do some contradict? some believe a black cat crossing in front is lucky others think it brings bad luck.

with some people it can make them frightened if they forget do something , but is it out of habit?

How do you define the difference between superstition and gut feeling?

it is up to the individual

Me? well I have foretold a few things in the past, Sue will vouch for and I don't want to really go into, and now say nothing now in case it scares Sue. So have an open mind on the subject.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 12:39 AM

The Psychology of Superstition. If you're like most people, you occasionally participate in superstitious thinking or behavior, often without even realizing you're doing it. ... These are all examples of superstitions, or what Dr. Stuart Vyse calls 'magical thinking'.
The Psychology of Superstition
https://www.zrss.si/...E.../13-09-06...perstition.doc
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2018, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
The Psychology of Superstition. If you're like most people, you occasionally participate in superstitious thinking or behavior, often without even realizing you're doing it. ... These are all examples of superstitions, or what Dr. Stuart Vyse calls 'magical thinking'.
The Psychology of Superstition
https://www.zrss.si/...E.../13-09-06...perstition.doc
Link not working or a completely foreign language or does it need magical thinking to understand
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset

21-01-2018, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Link not working or a completely foreign language or does it need magical thinking to understand
Sorry I have downloaded the doc.
I cannot copy it.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-superstitious

I will try tomorrow if that is OK.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top