Join for free
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 08:24 AM

problem with plum trees

We moved in here last year, and the garden has two plum trees, both established. Last summer they both produced loads of fruit, but many of them had tiny worms inside and a sticky deposit on the surface.

This year there's hardly any fruit, and about half has the same problem.

I've gone through all my gardening books and can't find what it might be.

Anyone have any ideas? And how to treat the problem?

many thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 08:58 AM

Re: problem with plum trees

Hello Deb are these the tiny pink worms .I see you are not far from me in Herefordshire.
I do know one of the big PYO fruit farms near here has had a problem with grubs in their plumbs this year and I was given some damsons and they were full of grubs too.

We had such a mild winter with very few hard frost to penetrate the soil, I think this has contributed to the pest problem.

My gooseberry bush has been decimated by saw fly this year which live in the soil under the bush.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 09:21 AM

My plum trees are just the same Debs, I think a lot of the problem regarding fruit set just comes down to the temperature when the trees blossom in spring. If it's too cold there are not enough insects to pollinate the blossom and if there are night frosts then that will decimate the blossom anyway, so it's all down to the gods really.

Regarding the grubs, they are the plum sawfly and the only treatment that I have found is to spray the trees at blossom drop, which is when the eggs are laid by the adult and the larvae enter the developing fruit. I have been doing this for a couple of years and it has helped, although not eradicated the problem. This year I think I lost half the crop to frost and around a third of what was left to sawfly, so not too bad compared with some years when we haven't had a plum...
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
My plum trees are just the same Debs, I think a lot of the problem regarding fruit set just comes down to the temperature when the trees blossom in spring. If it's too cold there are not enough insects to pollinate the blossom and if there are night frosts then that will decimate the blossom anyway, so it's all down to the gods really.

Regarding the grubs, they are the plum sawfly and the only treatment that I have found is to spray the trees at blossom drop, which is when the eggs are laid by the adult and the larvae enter the developing fruit. I have been doing this for a couple of years and it has helped, although not eradicated the problem. This year I think I lost half the crop to frost and around a third of what was left to sawfly, so not too bad compared with some years when we haven't had a plum...
thanks for this - what do I spray with?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
thanks for this - what do I spray with?
Only my personal opinion but the insect spray that I prefer is called Pravado Ultimate Bug Killer. It is systemic and it is safe to use on fruit and vegetables, but because it's systemic only one treatment per season is recommended.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2014, 08:07 PM

This is the plum moth grub

Plum pest link

We used a pheromone trap
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 09:28 AM

Fruit and protein at one bite - yum!
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 12:17 PM

Yes, but the black is the bugs crap.
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Recycling at it's optimum - what could possibly go wrong? I love to eat the plums off my tree, but I'll be looking into them a bit more carefully in the future. Bon appetit!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2014, 02:26 PM

The `pink maggot` has been a problem throughout the village this year. Also remember some varieties `Victoria` being a common one are prone to over fruit one year and be very poor the next.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top